cop

Camera accident

Two tandemjumps with running commentary today in DZ Malmi Finland to radiostation KissFM, three cameramen per tandem. Jumps were great but;

Primarycameraman opens and during opening his head goes strongly from side to side and in this second helmet with camera flies away from his head. This all was filmed by outsidecameraman.

Camerahelmet was Skysystems Vapor with one side attachment. Helmet was checked atleast two times (I saw those checks) and it was locked.

Have anyone heard situations like this, or do you have any opinions. My own opinion is that helmet bent sideways and locking system failed at this point. In this moment camera and helmet are still missing, maybe we are wiser when we find those junks...

I'm using Piriraptor-helmet and I'm totally satisfied. Have anyone anything negative to say about piriraptor?

Tell us something, please B|

"You can call me Mike"

First facts coming up!
I'm the lucky (or should I say unlucky) owner of that helmet. We did find it...the latch had simply opened due to material failure or simply poor craftsmanship. Skysystems convinced me that the system is tested and safe, it obviously wasn't. Thank God I wasn't hurt so much...My neck is a bit stiff and sore...

So, I'll contact them and see what they have to tell me...

but anyway, I'm still alive and we have it all (pretty uneventful until the helmet comes off, seemingly just by it self)on tape. I'll be back when I've contacted Skysystems.

Thomas

[unsure]oeps, my previous reply is rather empty. But what I wanted to say: I DID own a piriraptor helmet, but watch the word 'did' : I lost it during opening on 7000 Ft (CRW jump) and never saw it again. I now own a flat top pro, and I like it far much better :-)

Thank you GaTo. Few questions more;
Did you found any reason why your helmet flew off? How old was your helmet and was there any failure that could be seen in locking system? Last question (don't laugh); do you have long hair and did you use hood under the helmet?
"You can call me Mike"

"You can call me Mike"

Just wanted to comment on the long hair thing. I've got hair down to the middle of my back. I jump a sidewinder O2 helmet... I tuck my hair up inside of the helmet and make sure it's super tight before I leave the plane, and I've never had a problem with the helmet trying to come off.

I realize that this has nothing to do with the fellow who lost his helmet, but I wanted to address the long hair thing. :)

-Tommy

Nope, I do not have long hair, so that had nothing to do with it. I changed the locking mechanism of the piri-helmet since the original one was veryvery frustrating, took me too much time to get the helmet open and/or closed again. I changed it with some ski-binder-like devices, and the evening before, people looked at it and even said: wow, that sure won't go open 'just like that' (they even could not figure out how to open the buckels). But then the next day, perhaps because one of the clamps was not closed completely due to a hurry-exit I had to perform, the helmet snapped open and there it go.... down to earth.
I sure would like to see that film... but we never found the helmet AND camera. So at the end it maybe was not the original closing device that failed, but because of a frustrating original device, I did change it...
A big difference with the flat top pro is also that you have to close it completely with your own force (I do not knwo how to explain...) with the flat top, I can loosely close the helmet, and with the clamp close it firmly around my head, and even have control over the tightness of the 'fit' With the piri that was not possible.
By the way, the thing that I did like on the helmet was the quick release (which also worked with the new closing clamps). My flat top pro has not yet a quick release, although an upgrade is coming soon they say (see another thread in this forum)
Caren

Piriraptor locksystem might fail if there is bunch of hair between the locking parts. That's why I asked this long hair and underhood thing. If I remember right, this is mentioned in owner's manual...

"You can call me Mike"

"You can call me Mike"