rainbow

Nikon N90/F90 external release cable?

Hi,
anyone outthere with expereince on using a Nikon N90 (or F90 - europe) with external release cable (tongue-switch?) The camera shop only has a MC-30 to use, but how do I connect the blow switch? Where can I get the schematics of the 10-pin connector and conenct information?

caren

Caren, I have an N70 that has a two pin connector. The schematic is complicated because it allows the remote release to operate the two-pressure shutter release. The first, light, pressure activates the meter and autofocus, and the full pressure releases the shutter. Since you are probably going to use a manual lens set to infinity, you can bypass the autofocus feature. I didn't want to spend all the money, so I soldered my tongue switch with a quick disconnect right to the camera. I close the circuit by pressing the tongue switch and the shutter trips. This would not work if I wanted to use the autofocus. I got the wiring diagram for the Nikon switch just searching the web for "Nikon N70" That would probably work for you for your N90. The N90 is pretty big bucks to start a wiring project on, though. Good luck.

JP

thanks for the reply, but the N70 seems to have a quite different connector than the 90.... mine is a 10-pin connector, and already people are warning me to be carefull: connecting one wire wrong and there goes the money :-)
I'm now jumping with a very old canon, and this N90 is just laying around (not much time for 'normal' photography when your jumping :-) so I thought...well, maybe I can upgrade my picture-quality by using the Nikon. But I'm already changing my mind: the MC-30 conenctor is also very expensive: 133 Euro's.... and with the risk of ruining my camera..?

You know, it's really more about the lens than the camera. If you don't like the quality, maybe just upgrade the lens.

I've got an N90 too, and I wouldn't attempt it. I've never used the remote stuff on it. There's another port above and to the right of the 10 pin, do you know what that ones for?

JP

the other connector you are referring to is for a flash.
In the mean time I have the schematics for the connector, so I could use it ... but... hmm, I'm hesitating, the camera is much heavier than the canon, and more expensive and I already lost a camera helmet once..... including video camera... so I know how it feels :-(
Iw ill go and experient a little bit, with both camera's. Will post results if there are any :-)

Buy a used MC-30 if you can find it. Cut off the handheld release switch and with the camera turned on start shorting wires until your shutter goes off.

Once you've found the two wires (out of ten) that trigger the shutter it should be easy enough to splice that to whatever release mechanism you choose.

All this was way too much work to be asked of me so I bought an 8008s. However, I do know three people who used the method above successfully.

Good luck.

-Alex