Zlew

Just a film Box

I've seen a few of posts on here in the past few weeks about putting high speed 35mm cameras on their heads for their first set up. There seems to be a myth in the world of cameras that the more you pay for a camera, the better pictures it will give you. A camera is just a film box...that's it. You can spend a lot of money on a nice camera, but you are paying for bells and buzzers, not for better quality pictures. I own a Eos rebel XS (older model SLR, pre Rebel G) and I also own an Elan 7E (a high dollar new camera). The 7E is a GREAT camera, and does all sorts of shit that the XS just can't. It has eye controled focus (look at where u want to fucus, and presto, it focuses), it has twice as fast max shutter speed (1/4000), apature preview, has 2 wheels instead of one to mess with functions, it can do a 2nd curtin flash sync, it can leave the tag of the film back out when I rewind to make it easy when I develop my own, has a more advanced metering system etc. etc. etc. For skydiving will the 7 E give me better pictures? NO NO NO NO NO!!! 99 percent of what I do skydiving..hell 99.95percent just doesn't need any of the extra fetures or buzzers the 7 E offers. The XS is is great shape, mirror is great, I have a bad ass lense for it...and use good film. The camera JUST holds the film to let u expose it to light. There is no magic in the camera body of the 7E that the XS doesnt have. The 7 E costs 5 times as much ,and weighs 3 times as much. Which camera do u think I skydive with?
If you want good pic's:
Do your part and be where u need to be.
Have good glass (lens)
Use good film if you can (at least average)
Have a basic understanding of exposure.
Spend the money you save by buying a rebel 2000 or G over a 7E on Jumps, film, and a good lens.
my 2 cents
Z