Cacophony

TRV 17, a good camera?

I currently use a Sony TRV11. I was shooting a 4way team at the Australian nationals and needed to use a PAL TRV17 because my camera is NTSC. It worked much just like my 11 which I absolutely love. In my opinion it's a great camera. It has a lot of bells & whistles that I would hardly ever use but then pretty much all cameras have that.

Hey there, I fly video for tandems, rw, and anything else they pay to do or pay for my slot to do including some, though limited, free fly stuff. I use a TRV 17 and love it. We are a little dropzone so our mixing equipment is by no means state or the art. To mix I use the goodies on the camera and the slow mo button on the remote. The only wierd thing it has ever done is when we were making a goofy video in the loft one night and I left it on Sport setting it faded darker to lighter, back and forth. I have been told I make some phat video and most of that is the camera. I love the still options and have had no problems there either, you can check my website, http://www.angelfire.com/extreme3/logerflyer, to see what I mean. A great example is the one on the tandem page where both the instructor and passenger are wearing sunglasses. The only drawback I see is that Sony has decided to put the tape door on the bottom of the camera. That means you need to take it off your helmet and undo any quick release plate, if you jump them, to put a new tape in. Definitely watch cold weather use of the battery, other than that they rock. One thing to remember is that the diameter on the lense is wierd so you need adapter rings for wide angle lenses and the like because it is 30 mm and most lenses are 37mm.
take care and blue skies.

MFFI-422 is 100% correct except for a few things...
The TRV-17 can save .MPG files to the memory stick...
The TRV-17 has to have the LCD screen open to get at the controls...
The TRV-17 sucks batteries like no tomorrow.....
If you have the camera in a bonehead d-box, the trv-17 has to be taken out to get at the charge port.....
example.... a fully charged fm50 on a trv-11 reads ABOUT 180 minutes.... take that battery off and put it on a TRV-17 and it will only read about 118 minutes
I would rather have a used trv-11 than a new trv-17
If you are going to buy new, get a trv-30.... the still resolution is better......
Hey Dino, who loves you babe!