R00tj00se

Sony dcr-pc9 users

I'm about to go for a sony pc-9 because I can get one relatively cheaply however I'd like to hear what people out there who jump them think.
They get good reviews on the net but how are they for skydiving. I'll only be using it for fun and for producing videos and pics to go on a web site.
Also:
(i) what type of lens do I need to order for it if I'm just videoing 4-way from inside the formation and videoing freefly too.
(ii) How big a memory stick should I go for - as big as I can get?
(iii) I'm looking for an open face helmet to put the thing on/in but I want it to have internal audible ports (not the flimsy external ones). Anyone know of a good helmet.
Would ask at the DZ but I'm not gonna be there for a couple of weeks.
Cheers

I have my PC9 top mounted to my ProTek. I designed the mount which has both right side and back protection for the camera. I use a football chin cup with dual straps and left the ProTek strap on too as a safety strap. (yes, I dirt dive exiting from both straps in an emergency)
I have only just begun (sounds like a song ...) to fly the camera and do not have a sight yet. I wanted to get used to the camera on my head before I complicated things by actually trying to concentrate on capturing something on video.
Why are you looking for a memory stick? You cant take stills (with the PC9) while skydiving anyway (that I know of anyway...).
I'd say the only thing I dont like about the ProTek mount is the helmet seems 'flimsy' sometimes, but its working fine so far.
I plan to add padding to the helmet to make it fit more secure.
I do not have a lens on the camera. I just use what it came with. Seems to work ok. We have a video guy here that does mostly tandem work that also just uses the lens that comes with the camera and he does great with it.
I built the whole thing for about $100 bucks including the price of the ProTek (not including the camera of course).
Good Luck
JC

the only complaint I have heard so far about the PC9 is that is is gonna be difficult to side mount if you plan on using a device like the Cam eye remote control.
Sony moved the ports (av jacks, LanC and mic) from the front edge of the camera, to the left side near the eye piece. that covers your ports when you side mount it.
They apparently did listen to the skydiving community and made the strap removable with two screws.
As for lenses, I use no lens for tandem and 4 way (you'd have to get too close for a good shot as far as safety is concerned IMHO), and would recommend a .42 for shooting within the formation. I have a .45 and it just doesnt quite cut it.
Personally, I'd stick with a pc5. the price is right and its a proven piece of hardware with lots of accessories (d-boxes, etc) already around. Still lots of new cameras in the warehouses from what I have seen.
just my .02
Gilligan