Nash

Headhunter or Hanson?

I need some info and advice on camera helmets.
I am looking for a new camera helmet with the following requirements;
1. Top mount
2. Still mount in front
3. Rear entry with some quick release mechanism.
4. Ability to mount and dis-mount the video camera easily (i.e. no camera-lok tape)
5. Relatively flat angle on the platform.
I am looking at the Head Hunter Vortex and the Hanson full face. I would appreciate any feedback on these or any other helmet that meets my criteria.
Thanks,
Nash

Do not buy from Head Hunter you will spend more time calling him wondering where in the hell your helmet is. I bought one off him and it took 4 months to get. If you choose to buy one from him I suggest you do not put down any cash till you have exactly what you want. If he has your money he will take his sweet ass time. I am not alone in this experience. Can't comment on Hanson.

Craig Hanson makes some decent helmets. He built my first camera helmet.
Greg Hunter is ... well ... Greg Hunter. He is a brilliant designer but has difficulty focusing on production.
Chris Frizell started Bonehead Composites after he had problems with his Hunter Helmet. Chris and Larry Sanchez are businessman who are good at design and hire the right people for production. Bonehead currently builds the best skydiving helmets on the planet. I have one of their original box helmets, but would probably buy a Bonehead Flat Top or Bat Rack today.

I have a Hanson "low-profile" full face helmet. It's been a really good helmet except for a few minor things. First of all, constructing it was not all that fun, and is definitely a two person operation (the whole foam injection liner process). However, it fits great because it was molded directly to my head. It's fairly light weight, and comes with an extended top plate for mounting your still upside down on front, as well as an "l" bracket for mounting your still normally on the front. The helmet also comes with a sight post already attached, as well as a sight holder and basic plastic sight. The helmet is rear entry (no smart ass comments necessary) and the closure system is a ratchet type system (ie ski boot binding). It is a very secure helmet. The downside is that there is no quick release. The aluminum top plate is attached to the helmet with four machine screws that connect to anchors that are molded directly into the fiberglass shell. This makes is easy to have multiple top plates for different camera configurations. I should also mention that the angle of the top plate is somewhat steep. It's not like a typical side mount or a Bat-Rak that has a very flat camera angle.
One of the drawbacks to the helmet is accessing the underside of the top plate(while it's attached to the helmet) if you're inclined to attach your camera with a screw. It's not like the Bonehead Flat-top Pro where you take out the pad and the plate is right there. There's a layer of fiberglass shell, and foam lining under the plate. It's never been that big of an issue though, because I use Bonehead D-boxes for both of my Sony camcorders, and I've also fooled around with Bogen quick release plates for top mounting my still camera.
The helmet seems to be holding up well. I've got about 700 jumps on it. It's pretty comfortable once it wears in. You can also get creative with the foaming process and mold pockets for you audibles and whatever cables you have right into the lining. Overall it's a good helmet. Also, Craig Hanson is also pretty helpful. Everytime I've called him he's been very courteous.
If you're willing to take your time to make it correctly, for $350 or whatever he's charging now, it's a great helmet.
Mike

Do NOT buy from this #%$hole at Headhunter Helmets! After 8 months I still do not have my Voodoo helmet. Funny thing...they had my money for 6 of the eight months. I left numerous voice mail messages, sent emails...nobody ever responded. Luckily I had used my Visa and was able to get them involved. As soon as Visa said they were taking the money back...I got a call! I was given the longest sob story bull^%$ I have ever heard! My feeling was that it did not matter...give me a discount and send the helmet to me. Captain Greg Hunter would not budge on the price...all he could say was I am sorry. Obviously don't need my business...EVER! Hope nobody else gets caught up in this mess. Stay clear of Headhunter Helmets...!

no feedback on headhunter, but i seem to be hearing lots of bad things. i can comment on craig hanson though. loves to talk shop, hell stay on the phone hours with you to walk you through how to foam the helmet correctly, and he will ship you any parts you need or tell you where to get them, even if you didnt buy the helmet from him.
btw, i do have a full face low pro hanson if you want it that i no longer use. custom paint, blow switch, cam light built in. let it go for a good price. email me if interested.