Coal

Fall rate tips needed

I found myself failing a CAT III jump this weekend for 1 simple reason. I docked the 3 way while I was still moving slightly faster than them. This made me to 'hang' on and when I released I found myself sliding backwards...
I seem to struggle slightly with slowing the fall rate. De-arch and drop the chin, yes (Difficult to drop your chin if you want to look up at a formation). Are there any advice/tips on how to approach a formation fast from the top and control that fall rate better?

I found myself failing a CAT III jump this weekend for 1 simple reason. I docked the 3 way while I was still moving slightly faster than them. This made me to 'hang' on and when I released I found myself sliding backwards...
I seem to struggle slightly with slowing the fall rate. De-arch and drop the chin, yes (Difficult to drop your chin if you want to look up at a formation). Are there any advice/tips on how to approach a formation fast from the top and control that fall rate better?

You failed the CAT III jump for several reasons:

1. You have an incorrect mental picture about docking on a formation. NEVER approach your slot "fast from the top"! The only time you go fast is when you are diving to an area outside the formation (maybe 10 feet out and 3 feet up on your 3-way) where you will be setting up your final approach. Then inch your way in, staying just high enough to give you a smooth glide down to your slot.

2. You docked before you matched the fall rate of the 3-way and before you were stopped. NEVER dock if you can't stay level. Find a coach to help you learn how to slow fall and fast fall. You should be able to sink down and pop up several feet to match the coach's changing fall rate. Some tunnel time helps tremendously with this.

3. You tried to decrease your fall rate by "hanging on". Big no-no. Again, match the fall rate first. If you can't, work with a coach. It might be body position, it might be you have a fast natural fall rate that needs corrected with a roomier jumpsuit.

4. Looking up made you backslide and put even more tension on the 3-way. Again, get some one-on-one coaching, preferably in a wind tunnel to learn how to fast fall and slow fall and be able to look around without sliding.

And that's just part of a formation skydive. Once you're docked, you have to help fly the formation. Learning to adjust and maintain your fall rate as mentioned above will help with that too.

I hope this helps! Blue Skies! B|B|

I repeated the 4 way FS test this weekend and passed!! I was very aware of the fall rate and never went low. I can work on relaxing my body a bit more as my muscles are pretty sore today...This jump required a balance between aggression (or assertiveness if you like) and patience. Thanks again for the help!

I'm glad to hear you passed your test! You did it all by yourself. You asked for help and had the guts to give it another try. I like what you said about the balance between agression and patience. You've learned a lot already! Anticipation would be the third factor. With practice, you will find youself thinking ahead to the next point before you've even finished the current one. You're gonna love 4-way!

Blue Skies!
Ed