tempest

8 way block technique

Hi

I know this forum is mainly used to discuss 4 way technique but I was hoping someone would be able to help with some tips for 8 way block 17.

I'm looking for information on the technique on all three distinct jobs in this block.
1. The centers
2. The compressed piece
3. The outside flyers

We seem to have the levels under control but the block is not as consistent or smooth as we would like. The heading for the formation changes and I think it's due to the fact that the compressed pieces over rotating or moving.

Any help on individual technique and targeting would be appreciated.

Thanks
Emile

There are probably different methods but the way we do it is as follows...

Center solo flyers key together and turn 360 in place referencing each other.

Compressed pieces
Centers step forward and sweep their lower half while the outside of the compressed presses sideways toward the center. The first picture would be a box type picture with the grip line of the compressed piece lined up down the line of the original buzzard. Outside of the compressed then drives through the knees of their piece partner passing through another buzzard picture. Centers keep their eye contact over their right shoulder until they feel their piece partner pushing through them. Once the outside of the compressed is through the buzzard picture they sweep their lower half to another box picture. At the box picture the center flyer pushes through them to the close. Outside of the compressed keep the priority with the center to finish then look out for the solo flyer grip. All that sounds really complicated but see a box, buzzard, box, then finish.

Outside solo flyer. Don't feel like you are in a hurry. You have time to make a good turn in place. While you turn reference down the entire line of the buzzard. See the center picking up grips as you pick up grips on the outside of the buzzard.

The buzzard should end on the same heading as it started with our method. It creeps really well. Take the time to learn it well on the creepers.

17 – 17. Buzzard Buzzard.

centers: They do a 360. Anticipate fall rate. A compressed will usually float. It shouldn't , but welcome to 8way. Don’t favor your compressed.

compressed: The people in the compresses do a 360, forwards. I think the most important thing is for the people in the compressed to chat and agree about how they are going to do the block and how much. How much power to put in - it must be both even and equal. Most important of all how to stop it. Overshoots are very common when learning the block.

Two major techniques are used to turn a compressed.

Go stop ( exactly that – actuall read go, S T O P ) - warning overshoot
You me you ( like comp box but different enough to be different ) - warning translate

Watch for the inter picture – which is you looking through the centre at your opposite. Be kind to the solo flyers and big time pick up the fall-rate.

Outside flyers: on the key turn like phuck (outward turn), then fix any levels or translation.

As you said the heading will change if the compressed piences translate or over rotate - an unfortunate part of 8way reality ;-)

edit: I delibrately didn't look at the other reply, but just read it. Interesting to see different techniques used for different teams. That also the cool thing about 8way - engineering is a major factor and things are done differently.
Blue Dreams Benno

Thanks for the detailed replies guys.

We have had some feedback that the solo fliers can help stop the rotation on the compressed pieces, but I think the compressed should do their best to stop on it's own.

It looks like we will just have to experiment with the compressed piece tecnnique to find out what works for us. But we will definitely incorporate the information from your replies.

Cheers
Emile

As with most 8way block moves it involves translation as apposed to rotation, as in one part of the piece moves forwards and stops while the other part anchors until they feel the stop when they then move forward.

This technique tends to see the heading change as by 270 degrees the pieces are normally back in the setup position (parallel in this case), the two centres can help keep the heading by doing their turn quickly and setting up for the compress pieces to reference their final part of the turn.

I have a program (windows 2000 and above only) on my web site which contains all my notes on 8way, it’s free to download.
http://www.strollerweb.co.uk follow link to FS Skydive Coach
Totally Free Skydiving Software/blue]
www.strollerweb.co.uk
www.gravity-power.com

Compressed pieces
Centers step forward and sweep their lower half while the outside of the compressed presses sideways toward the center. The first picture would be a box type picture with the grip line of the compressed piece lined up down the line of the original buzzard. Outside of the compressed then drives through the knees of their piece partner passing through another buzzard picture. Centers keep their eye contact over their right shoulder until they feel their piece partner pushing through them. Once the outside of the compressed is through the buzzard picture they sweep their lower half to another box picture. At the box picture the center flyer pushes through them to the close. Outside of the compressed keep the priority with the center to finish then look out for the solo flyer grip. All that sounds really complicated but see a box, buzzard, box, then finish.

Thanks for this information. It is similar to what the team has been talking about recently.

One question that comes up is whether this as a three stage move or not. I managed to get hold of footage from the 2005 US nationals to help me visualize the technique described here, and it has helped a lot. I couldn't identify specific stages in the compressed move but that may simply be because I haven't wathced it in slow motion yet.

Emile