4wayFly

So will Sinapsi win the World Meet?

They looked very strong at the Shamrock Showdown, with the addition of Pete Allum. Arcteryx from Norway also had a great meet, breaking a 20 the first time for this new team - amazing stuff given they were only doing a 15 - 16 average 2 years ago. Big congrats to both teams..and of course to Fire for their World Record. Looks like there was something in it for everyone :)

It's going to be an exciting World Meet...

They looked very strong at the Shamrock Showdown, with the addition of Pete Allum. Arcteryx from Norway also had a great meet, breaking a 20 the first time for this new team - amazing stuff given they were only doing a 15 - 16 average 2 years ago. Big congrats to both teams..and of course to Fire for their World Record. Looks like there was something in it for everyone :)

Well everyone did great, but it was also the fastest draw I have ever seen in over 10 years. Majik was the only team to ever break a 23 with a 23.1, and in this meet alone two teams smashed it.

Sinapsi has a very good chance. I would not count Fire out yet since they had just started training earlier that week with a complete team.

Sinapsi seems to be the team to beat right now.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

it was also the fastest draw I have ever seen in over 10 years

May be so...but there's still something about breaking the 20 barrier, even if it's a fast draw. Wasn't so long ago that the 20 was skydiving's 4-minute mile...Now everyone's at it! :PI think the experience level on the new Norwegian team is also fairly low (in terms of World Level)...but I may be wrong. Either way it was great to see.

Out of interest Ron, how fast (relatively) do you think the draw was when Majik did their 23? I don't remember.

The Draw from the 23.1 Russian meet:
(1) 4 11 F
(2) J H 20 15
(3) 6 7 2
(4) C O 5 8
(5) 1 12 9
(6) B E 18 10
(7) P D K N 14
(8) M 22 G 3
(9) 13 L 21
(10) Q 19 17

The scores for Majik:
21 25 21 23 20 22 29 21 24 25

As you can see, not one round where anyone scored over a 30, and Airspeed was there as well.

At the Shamrock there were two rounds over 30 and six did over 30 in round 4 to include a skydive worthy of a world record.

In round 7, three teams did over a 30.

Russia had one fast round, and it included a long block (14).

The Shamrock had one totaly random jump an one with only block 9.

While I agree that a 20 is quite an achievement anytime, the shamrock was a draw that was the fastest I have ever seen.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

The Shamrock had one totaly random jump an one with only block 9.

This draw was insanely fast, the second highest scoring round C-9-Q-N, forces some big moves but could still come close to being a world record jump for some teams. I did it in the tunnel with Airspeed the other day and if we had put a stopwatch on it probably would have had a 30+.

History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

At this stage, it is impossible to predict who will win in the Open Class at the World Meet.

Both Fire and Sinapsi are strong teams and have suffered setbacks in their line-up/training over the past few months. I think from the Shamrock meet, both are going into training for the World Meet with a clean slate.

My 2 cents worth - it will be between those 2 teams for gold, and, Fire, I think will clinch it, but who knows on the day:)
The Shamrock meet was very fast, so knock off a couple of points for a "true" point average.

Liz

At this level, the mental game is gonna play a big part. To me, an important element for Fire last year was the mental discipline they maintained in the final two rounds, and the mental edge that a team with nothing to lose has in a competition. The Knights had reputation and more on the line, and glitched round 10.

Fire seems to respond pretty well to challenges, including the concerns that any team would face coming off injury and a training break into a closely watched competition. Sinapsi seems to have re-committed to winning the worlds... wonder if they have an "it's now or never" feeling about their upcoming year. Neither team has a title to defend.

Come to think of it, the French have nothing to lose this year, either. I think we'll see some true go-for-broke skydiving this summer in Germany. That's always inspiring.

With the number of contenders we have this year for first place I think the world meet is going to be even more of a nail biter than nats was this year.
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower