HellaMannn

4-way tunnel coaching at SVO

For those I don't know on the forums, my name is Alex Heller and I'm a member of the University of GA skydiving club and 4-way team. We had a team go down to collegiates this year and did ok, had about a 4 pt average. Our team members all have less than 200 jumps and have an average of an hour of tunnel time. We absolutely love doing 4-way though, even with such low numbers.

Anyway, I was wanting to get some advice on some good 4-way coaches down near Orlando. We are trying to get back down to the tunnel in the next month of two and wanted to know who is available or we should talk to. Obviously, we can't pay a ton extra for coaching, but realize the huge effect it has on the training and how much more we get out of it. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I already have learned much from our previous coaches and the wealth of data in this forum. Thanks!

Alex Heller
4 Dawg Night 4-way team (UGA)
Alex
UGA Skydiving Club

I set a camp up every year. It's completely worth it if you get good coaches. We're going in two weeks with a small group (9 people).

At Orlando, there are several great tunnel camp organizers. Chromy and Kurt Gaebel come to mind. Even if they can't coach directly, they know all the good coaches and can set up a camp (If they aren't already booked. Chromy is our main man, but I also did a couple NSL tunnelcamps a while ago with Kurt, and one through Brannon at tunnelcamp.com.

Go to some of the major team sites, and many do camps, also. Perris has a plan that combines tunnel and jumping and they will also set you up with photos of exit lineups, etc - DanBC would take great care of you, too.

Tunnelcamp.com might still be on line. that's good.

Format - I highly recommend each team member do 1 on 1 basic skills camps before all getting in the tunnel together. This will be my 5th or 6th (I can't remember) and each camp I do anywhere from 30 to 60 total minutes with a coach on basics. (we only go once a year though). Then the 4 way shares more time in various formats. each year I get a total of 4 or 5 hours flying due to sharing over 3 days.

If you aren't good on a solo basis, all 4 in there will not work. Plan on 1 on 1 training.

2 coaches for a team is a nice format.

You don't need a world champ for a tunnel camp. you need a good teacher and someone that's enough better than you to show proper form and teach you the next steps. (Of course, every top pro I've met so far has also been an excellent coach.)

The price is worth it.

If you're going down in the short term, contact someone right away and try to do weekdays. It's easier to schedule.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

thanks for your input. all of us have had basic body flight training in the past 5 months or so in the tunnel, and have even done some 4-way in there! even so, I like your point about not needing someone high profile to do the coaching. we can't really afford to travel to perris, orlando is pretty much our sole option. [:/]
Alex
UGA Skydiving Club

That is awesome that your getting the 4-way bug !! If your looking for coaching take a look at

http://www.tunnelcoach.com

I went in awhile back on a trip for a one on one thing and Sally was FANTASTIC!! Learned a lot... Pricing was excelent compared to some other coaching I have done...

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"