bendywendy

XL CHALLENGE

The boys are back in Sebastian for another XL Challenge. Check out their website www.sebastianxl.org.

I know they still have spaces available if you want to work on your RW skills.

They are doing 25 3 on 1 jumps with video.

You can call the dropzone or e-mail the guys or even let me know here and I'll pass the info on to them.

I will be getting into Orlando on the 6th of March and want to get a plan together to do a little tunnel time and do a few SDU jumps. What suggestions do you have. My budget is $400 to $500.

I will be current with 15 to 18 jumps, I have completed AAF but do not have my A license yet.

keep in mind that tunnel time will run you about 10$/minute, and that is if you book an hour. It gets pricier for smaller increments Coaching may be additional, depending on how picky you are about a particular coach. I'd book as soon as possible, skyventure is insanely busy and time fills up fast far ahead of time. The tunnel has staff coaches who are seasoned 4way competitors and great coaches too.

I'm not sure if sebastian has SDU anymore, but they do have great staff and coaches that are as good as if not better than SDU. Check that out in advance too.

Also figure in gear rental. if at minimum your coach jumps cost 2 slots (ie coach goes for slot only), that's 38$ for slots, probably 30 for gear rental, average a minimum of 70-ish$ per jump. Definitely check out daily rentals, that can save you a little money in the long run.

__

I would suggest going to Deland if you are going to get SDU coaching. Sebastian doesnt have SDU anymore. Give a call to Deland and ask for Chromy or Rob Laidlaw...they have dedicated time every week. Usually a couple of hours for people just like you and the locals. If you call them, they will be able to split the time up with you so you dont have to spend everything on the tunnel itself buying an hour...that is too much anyways for your first trip into the tunnel. I think that the number for Deland is 386.738.3539

Enjoy. They will hook you up with everything that you need.

An hour is not nearly enough for a new person's first trip to the tunnel.

But with only 400-500 bucks, thats not going to get an hour anyway. And best to have a coach for that. So it would even be a little more.

With that budget, I'd recommend some 2 way coached dives (at a DZ) so you can also get some fun factor in and stretch it out over the weekend......

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Yeah, the more tunnel, the better...I agree, but I want him to be able to function to make some jumps afterward...the tunnel can beat you up if you arent used to it.

Yup - There is definitely a level of fitness needed to be comfortable with a "big tunnel holiday" of like 4 or 5 total hours time...... For some, even an advanced tunnel camp (hour and a half to two) puts them out.....

And with that budget, it would be more fun to spend it at a DZ anyway. So I'm agreeing wholeheartedly with your first recommendation. I haven't met Rob, but Chromy is a great guy and good coach.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I don't agree.. I have seen 10 minutes make a difference.

30 minutes of time even with "just" a SkyVenture instructor (remember Eliana and Thomas were "just" SV instructors..And have done a 15.4 with Rusty another instructor) can do wonders.

Thats 30 minutes of flying for about the same cost as 4 coach jumps (4 min of flying) and a solo.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Of course you're right, I'm just greedy about time and was speaking tongue in cheek.

And for a beginner, a quarter hour at least gets them off on the right foot.

My bad, I keep thinking of the tunnel in terms of 4-way training and not just basic skills training....

Rusty was my instructor at the last camp. He is fantastic. He should be on a dedicated team.

Poor guy is spending what looks like a full weekend in the area, though, and 400 to 600 bucks will go away in the tunnel in a well planned afternoon. What to do the rest of the weekend?

Edit - Actually, with only say, $500 bucks, what would you suggest CometChaser does? You've done this much more and I have zero experience in incorporating tunnel training into someone else's learning plan. (i.e., in being flip above, I spoke out of place).

Rusty was my instructor at the last camp. He is fantastic. He should be on a dedicated team.

We looked at him when we lost Healy last year. Thats when with no training he stepped up and did a 15.4 with us. We didn't pick him up at the times since he is not "Legal" for medals.

I am talking to him some this year...But I might be doing something bigger.

Poor guy is spending what looks like a full weekend in the area, though, and 400 to 600 bucks will go away in the tunnel in a well planned afternoon. What to do the rest of the weekend?

He can drink at Zhills.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Stacey did a great job! We do not have SDU here anymore. They are located at DeLand still, though.

We do however still do coaching and we still have two members of Sebastian XL located at the DZ who coach and do tunnel training as well. (Steve and Rob).

So It is up to you? We'd love to have you here or if your heart is set on SDU give them a call at DeLand and they will take care of you. 4-500 is not a huge budget if you are looking to do coach jumps and tunnel time. It is expensive but well worth it.

yeah, Rusty spoke of that and was down about the whole 'legal' thing.

I edited the last comment - maybe you can give some advice to cometchaser on how best to use his budget realizing he's very new.

I'm assuming you're advocating 100% tunnel.....

yeah, Rusty spoke of that and was down about the whole 'legal' thing.

Yeah it sucked, but I don't care much about the place...I go for Average..and he can do it...

I edited the last comment - maybe you can give some advice to cometchaser on how best to use his budget realizing he's very new.

I'm assuming you're advocating 100% tunnel.....

Nope, you had very good points.

If he were just going for "performance"...I would do 20-30 min of tunnel. To much more might be wearing him out more than doing good.

And besides going to new DZ's is part of skydiving.

So I would have him do 20-30 min of tunnel to be "serious"...and then have him go to a new DZ and make a few fun jumps and show off his stuff.

But if it rained...I'd blow the rest on tunnel as well.

Next time you are down, let me know...I'll drive over just to say Hi!.

We're down in April (21st - 25th) - currently reserving 30 hours of tunnel. I think we have Chromy and Lise coaching for those that want it. Lise is about as sweet a person as I ever met - she coached me on my first camp and I can say that she and Shannon taught me what little mantis I do know.

I'm looking for just a lot of time, drills and sharing time with our better flyers. And maybe some basics coaching on block moves. Some of our newbies have asked me to share time/coach, but I think they are better served by the professionals. Heck, though, I can lay base and demonstrate/correct once the big dogs get them squared away. More time is more time.

But if too many more people bail out, that 30 will likely be reduced. I'm bringing gear and plan to send a note to quite a few of the dz.commers and take a day at a DZ, also. It's been since 1989 since I've jumped in Florida.

appreciate the support and also calling bullshit once in a while - it helps

appreciate the support and also calling bullshit once in a while - it helps

I did not call BS on you...I just had to help you reframe the question.

Ivan Petrovich Pavlov would love you....Just as his dogs started to salivate when he rang a bell....

You think "4way" as soon as you hear tunnel.

As soon as you realized that they guy had 20 jumps...You gave a great answer.

I might try to run over and say hi...Keep me posted...April is to far away for me to make any plans.