mischo

Wind tunnel in France

Howdy y'all,
I am looking for information about the tunnel in Paris France. Prices, scheduling, and potential coaching. I will be traveling w/ a few Germans, but like all Americans. I am bilingual impared. I would prefer the coach to speak English. I would love to hear from anyone who has actually been there. I would like to know about your experience good or bad. My goals of the tunnel trip is to do 4-Way in the tunnel, both blocks and randoms. How does the tunnel compare to Skyventure or Ft. Bragg? I have spent a few hours in Orlando as well as Bragg.
Thank you,
Mish

Hi Mish,

I haven't been in the tunnel at Paris, but Thomas Hughes of Sebastian XL (the UK national team) has coached in both so he could give an opinion. You could PM him and there are some threads on here from people who have been to the Paris tunnel.

What I do know though is that converting US$ and Euros to GBP£, a minute in Orlando costs £1.40 and a minute in Paris costs £3.45!:o[:/]

Including flights & taxi to Orlando v ferry + petrol to drive to Paris from London, we worked out that if we did more than 3 hours 15 minutes in the tunnel then Orlando works out cheaper.

Also, Skyventure, you book your time say 1 hour from 2pm-3pm. In Paris you book your hour, arrive at opening time and the operators fit your hour in piece by piece over the day as it suits them, so it might take all day to do your hour. Makes briefing/debriefing interesting.

The Paris tunnel isn't wall to wall air, so for low timers if you can't stay stable in the flow, you fall off the column. On the positive side, I've been told there is a lot more room than at Orlando. Though I've done 4 way in Orlando and didn't find it too small, though I'm in junior league so don't do that many block moves.

Wherever you go tunnel, your going to have a ball, not jealous at all.:)

Hi Mish,

I do agree with Spike: VWT in Paris is much more expensive than any SkyVenture in the US!

I did as well all that accounting on expenses, comparing similar time to spend in the tunnel, and I live in Europe (Portugal).

Just for you to have an idea, if I would plan 2 hours of flight time in the tunnel (with coaching), I would spend € 2,612 EUR = $ 3,056 USD.

If for example instead you decide you take an Airspeed Camp, e.g. the standard 3-day Deluxe camp (which includes 1.5 hours of flight and costs $ 1,650 USD) plus half an hour of extra time with an Airspeed Coach ($ 320 USD), the total cost for these 2 hours with an Airspeed Coach would be $ 1,970 USD.

By comparison with the $ 3,056 USD, the difference of more than a thousand US dollars (for 2 hours of flight in the tunnel), would be enough to pay the 2-way flight from Portugal to Orlando.

And the more you fly, the biggest this difference will be. I've never been in Paris Aerokart but I know their facilities are GREAT... the problem is that they are very EXPENSIVE!

They have a 5% discount for flight time between 3 and 6 hours and 10% for above 6 hours.

You'll be able to find more info on the Aerokart VWT, here:

http://www.veloce-skydive.com/soufflerie/index.html

and

http://www.aerokart.fr/

There are also some differences in the way both SkyVenture and Aerokart operate, regarding schedule of flight times and the days the VWT is open to the public, where I think SkyVenture has much more flexibility than Aerokart.

Hope this helps!

Blue Skies! B|
-----------------------------
Mario Santos
Portugal

Hi Mario,
As usual very informative post, I am unable to go to the States, Uncle Sam won't let me. So I guess I will just have to bite the bullet and shell out the extra cash. I am looking for a knowledgeable coach who speaks English and has a through understanding of the blocks. If you know of someone that fits that description let me know;). I have about 60 hours of tunnel time now and I would like to work with player coach so I can work on the IC & Tail slots. PM me if you're interested
take care,
Mish