PROGRESSIVE

Launching pieces out the door

I've usually gone rear float, or diving out when it comes to launching a formation. Very rarely do I go out front float. Going front float seems to be the most difficult aspect on launching a piece from the aircraft. Either the front floater somehow gets sucked under, or flips over the top of the formation within the first 3 seconds of the exit.B| Very rarely do I see, or experience a successful launch.

Question is, what is the best technique used in launching a piece, eg, 4 way, out the door of a DC3, or Grand Caravan that is equiped with steps and handles successfully?

I got some good advise from the Airspeed guys when I first started. There are 3 aspect to an exit: Presentation, timing and placement. They are important in that order. Above all else present. FOr the front float and front diver in the begining that often means actually looking at the wing. Then there is timing. Just look at where you want to be relative to the other people in the formation and time it to put yourself there. Remember that you will not go up but if the tail launches down and the point sees the IC and OC leave then the formation will stretch.

Last look at the launch ov videa. Often I see a good formation out the door but it gets stretched and then the rebound pulls the point or tail under.
Chris

Hey Scotty who is Timmy? Too short of an answer: For the piece to present to the relative wind the front can not be early, the rear can NOT be late. The front must see the rear leaving, but go on go so as not to be pulled off. This is the timing. Usually when the frout goes under the rear was late. Come to the Xmas boogie in eloy and it will be explained;)

Don't run out of altitude and experience at the same time...

That it Harry, Bust my balls there, just trying to offer a gem here and this is what I get... I figured that you jsut wanted to get that picture back up on the web again, transitioning to the 3rd point ....right !!!!!

I was hoping to come down tomorrow for the NW meet but cant make it, I was bummed. Hopefully your team, or a version or your team is jumping....

I forgot to send you the manual but I will put it in the mail today, sorry...

Oh yeah, Back to the point of the thread and not to clutter up the forum too much, check out the articles that were noted in another post. I have seen them before from Airspeed and they are good. There is also some information at www.4-way.org

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"