KATO33

Swoop Vs. Track

A very agrresive swoop will be borderline on a no lift dive (note: i am not suggesting doing a no lift dive.. these give you close to ZERO visibility of where you are going.. not that its not done).
Technically, the body position is very similar to a track. legs straight, arms straight along the body, head tilted down. The de-arch on a swoop isnt as pronounced as a track.
The obvious big difference is that a hard swoop tries to achieve as little horizontal speed as possible while maximizing vertical speed, and the track is the exact opposite: max H speed, reduced V speed.
I acheive the difference in how I get into position.
For a track, I start by dearching while turning away from the formation. The the legs come out with the arms going straight, but in a cross formation. Then, one I have some H speed, I bring my arms back, slightly below the bodyline, along side my body. Some people stay in the cross position with good results.
For a dive, start I start with a delta (strong arch, legs straight-ish, arms back above body line) and de-arch while pointing my head down. It may not be the most efficient way of doing it, but by presenting a strong arch to the relative wind on exit, its give you a good stable start. Also, I'm a fat bastard, so on big formations, I preffer to stay close to the base (call me chicken, but I usually dont trust the base to go fast enough! lol) so I've never had to push too hard....
Remster
Muff 914