ridebmxbikes

distance from the gates to...

Don't worry about getting more out of it, make sure your wing is level (ie. no roll) during your recovery from the carve / entry to the swoop. I would second the other posters urging you to get coaching during this high risk phase of the learning process.
Life is ez
On the dz
Every jumper's dream
3 rigs and an airstream

AdD

Don't worry about getting more out of it,

like I've said before, I'm really not worried about pushing it yet. just getting the feel for it right now... kinda like a new car before you go off drifting in it

make sure your wing is level (ie. no roll) during your recovery from the carve / entry to the swoop.

i would have to disagree on this part. i could be wrong or confused so correct me if i am. if you are low and you need to bail on something to not worry so much about the roll and level out the pitch. you can deal with the roll after you get back to a safe position. kinda like one would perform a ground carve?

Not really, go watch videos of the pro swoopers where you can see the approach, the wing is level long before they get near the ground, that is the safest and most efficient way from my experience. The canopy should have no roll the whole way through the recovery arc.

What is dangerous is having roll / still being in the turn near the ground <100ft habitually. If you are low and your canopy has roll you have less flare power than if it is above your head, so leveling out the pitch and ultimately getting your body travelling parallel to the ground as fast as possible is easiest with no roll.
Life is ez
On the dz
Every jumper's dream
3 rigs and an airstream