unkulunkulu

Aerodynamics of the FR turns

Is there an extensive explanation of the FR and harness turns? I think I understand the brake turn with the pendulum effect caused by the body weight inertia, but with FR and harness I fail to understand a bit.

Hopefully, the explanation also shreds some light on the behavior described in this thread: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4518225;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

unkulunkulu

Is there an extensive explanation of the FR and harness turns? I think I understand the brake turn with the pendulum effect caused by the body weight inertia, but with FR and harness I fail to understand a bit.

Hopefully, the explanation also shreds some light on the behavior described in this thread: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4518225;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

I will have a stab at it:

FR turn:

When you pull on a FR you decrease the angle of attack of one side of the wing. This causes a decrease in lift and an imbalance with the other side of the wing. This imbalance causes a roll which initiates a turn. The decreased AoA/reduction in vertical lift vector means that it is a diving turn.

Harness turn:

Similar to a FR turn, harness input causes an increased loading on one side of the wing which reduces the vertical lift vector and causes a roll and subsequently a turn. Since there is no increase in drag or distortion of the wing, it is a very clean turn.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA