dterrick

Raven II line trim specs wanted

Going to the DZ Saturday for winter jumps. Recent luck suggests we'll be sitting a bunch.

I'm particularily interested in the length of the steering lines as I suspect they may be short. Suggestions? Anyone have a Rigger's manual handy?

Dave

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

Raven II line trim specs

Spectra

Base NCA 324.8
NCA to NCB 8.6
NCA to C 27.7
NCA to D 50.6
NCA to T* 22.0
Base A 326.1
A to B 9.3
A to C 26.3
A to D 48.9
A to T 21.5
BL to Tog 65.8

These numbers were transcribed from a FAX sent by Precision Aerodynamics 01/30/1996 11:53

It says Inches converted from metric.

* With deployment brakes set, assuming standard riser configuration

Hi again RiggerRob!

Took the PA specs and did some measurin'. First off, I now understand why 'simple' rigging services cost $'s because I easily blew an evening measuring and then calculating (and that was with my computer's help with the math!!). I bet a 'professional rigger' would have stopped at about line 3 because the results wee not great.

The whole A set hsad shrunk 8 cm +/- except the one line that had been replaced which was only 2 cm short! the R4 A line was 12 cm short !! The R2C and R2D were also noticibly shorter than the surrounding lines.

The D lines were all over the place (-2 to -8). The tail with brakes set was HIGH on he LHS (+3) and LOW on the RHS (-6). There was a 5 cm difference (-12 and -7) in the toggle settings. Worse yet it appears that the LS was the one that was shortened and that's the high side of the canopy already.

Can you say "warped" ?!?:S. 'splains a few things about its ground-hungriness (trim change), sluggish performance (warped) and difficult to impossible flare (well, it IS old... but apparently there's more).

Seems that a day in my basement has been time well spent. Now I KNOW I need a new canopy - I just can't see changing 5-8 lines so they are "equally" worn out :o and a new lineset on old F-111 just doesn't seem like money well spent. Oh well, it'll make a cool car cover

Dave

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

Sorry about that dude.
I would have sent you metric specs if you had asked.
Precision is one of the few companies that publish both english and metric trim charts. Fortunately I have both types of chart and both types of measuring tapes.
Hint, the quickest way to measure the health of a lien set is to compare the A lines. Start by tying the risers together and applying 10 or 20 pounds of tension (5 or 10 kg for the metric dudes). compare the A lines. If they are symmetrical, good. Now measure the difference between the longest and shortest A lines. When the difference approaches 3 inches, I recommend replacing all the lines.
Hint, by the time you start replacing the fourth line, it becomes as expensive to replace all the lines.

I agree with you that it is not cost-effeftive to replace entire line sets on old F-111 canopies.