andyflylife

Landing traffic question??

I was just after thoughts on a situation I faced recently.
Low hop and pop lift all solos getting out, ie lots of canopies landing similar time.
I was the first one out and unusually for me the first to land, just.
My normal thing when jumping solo is to hang in brakes off the pattern and attempt to land near the back of the load to enable my swoop setup to flow and avoid traffic etc. However on this occasion because of the lack of exit alltitude and getting out first I decided to fly on full drive and get down.
I always make my final HP turn from deep brakes so I'd flown my pattern to 600' ish straight down then went onto deep brakes to my 400' turn height then did my thang!!
After landing the guy following me in on a higher wing loading commented that I shouldn't hang around on brakes as it holds people up on finals!!
Is it just me or is that like following a car too closely and therefore not giving yourself enough room for making adjustments when people do things you are not expecting? I will add that the person in question wasn't a regular to my DZ so probably hadn't seen my setup style before.
Any opinions apreciated!
Thanks guys and gals.

Blues ;)

"swooper 24/7, 365!"
ME on Myspace
My Project playlist

Are you right? Sure. Is he right? Yup. Whats the answer?

The answer is to work together to achieve proper seperation horizontally in the landing area and vertically. That doesn't start at 1000'. That starts after opening. In the holding area before you start your landing pattern is when you act on the previous recognition of who's on the load and what their wingloadings are. During this time in the holding area you can hang in brakes to let others pass then find your place in the pattern. Unless you're jumping well above 2.0 there is no reason to spiral to "beat" someone down or to "get out of their way." It simply causes more problems then it solves.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."