newswooper

xbraced boring?

I honestly could not tell you the number of rotations, its allot though. I'm putting together some videos and can send you a link in the next few days to have a look at it.

I can tell you that it eats up about 2000 ft, 1500 of fun and about another 500 just recovering from it. If you have a small highly loaded canopy you have to force both sides to stall to get out of it and you need to keep the risers very wide and your legs kicked out wide to stay out of twist.

When they get going good your feet are in front of you and your body is laying out horizontal like a rag doll. Its a hell of a good time. At my DZ a group of us will open high and take turns doing the helicopters while everyone else watches.

Video link coming soon.

Chris

the majority of x-braced canopies were designed to win swoop competitions...although not ALL were !

PDF, Atair and others have produced some x braced models that were more all around to appeal to someone like you given the list of canopies you stated you like...

everyone is different in the sport and there are alot of different canopies. the "best canopy" is the one that fits you, your goals, flying style, etc, best.

try em all and jump what you like.
Daniel Preston <><>
atairaerodynamics.com (sport)
atairaerospace.com (military)

That’s true
I talked with Hiper but they like the advantaged of the short lines and they don’t wont to make a "competition" Blade that’s sucks but is still a great canopy (first low profile canopy like the jvx but 5 years before)

At the time the Blade came out (middle of 2001) most people were thinking: well, it's just a modified Nitro. But you got it! Our low profile and the position of Nose/Leading Edge was unique and sometimes the test jumps scared the shit out of us (especially when the 58 ft² was landed the first time). But all worked like it should or even better.
We also experimentated with a Blade 20cell, to see the advantages. Unfortunately we stopped 2years ago all developments, because of personal reasons and some of us got jobs, were we even earn money. At the moment Beezy Shaw (HiPer USA) is doing all the neccessary stuff but we will support him in developing new canopies.
BTW: in 1997 Klaus Schenk (who unfortunately died in 2001) introduced the HMA-line. At this time everybody told him he will kill skydivers. Now look which companies are using exactly this line (our black Technora looks cooler anyway;))

ii've heard of people not liking it because it doesn't respond like their old stilleto...

later

http://www.performancedesigns.com/docs/velocity.pdf

Can i suggest you try this link, maybe a bit of reading before anyone jumps to sweeping solutions....

i used to jump a stilleto and a katana.....and i thought very much the same about the katana and the velo when i first flew them against the stilleto as in (twitchy) read it from the guys who designed it and test flew it and it will change yr mind.........basicly more flight range means you have to pull a toggle further to get the same reaction.....the velo has the largest flight range of all PD canopies, so you need to pull down further on a velo toggle that a stilleto toggle to scare yrself the same...:)...

There is some very good advice to be had from some of the guys and gals who have posted here .... and then there is some not so good advice.... all you can do is make an educated guess on which ones to believe....
happy landings on yr stlleto

just keep an eye out for the velo pilots soring past...
blue ones........DJ
;)

Dude....Sorry to have to be so direct...But one jump , in which you have not even gotten 10% out of the canopy, is no way to judge this.
Someone else said the right thing...Go and try it at least 50 times...Get back on this forum and you will probably eat your own words.,...
It's the pilot in combination with the tools that gives the performance....So many great , experienced skydivers love the crossbrace...Are they all wrong?
Figure out what you want ...find a canopy (canopies!)thats designed for that purpose and demo a few of them...Make sure you take it easy...and have fun while doing it!
And as a new swooper...make sure you become an old swooper by making good decisions on the ground and in the air..Be safe..hook high,,drink beer!
JR

Hi all again
Thx for all answers! I got now a few jumps more 30 on a velo and 40 on a jvx…
@ Dan: I have a lot of respect what your canopies can do but I had never the chance to jump a onyx or the pdf ninja2 … sad!
@ Lavielle: The hma lines of hiper are the best on the market… but please release a competition Blade I know you have the right lineset for it(and no winglets) and you have a winner on the katana and xf2 market!!!

OK back to the topic I still not think that the xpraced canopies that available at the moment are combine all the good stuff what I like. The xpraced are really good for swooping normally 80 mph on vertical speed but I still miss the respond of the inputs (twitchy). But I hade some openings where I don’t miss it... So I still looking for THAT canopy but for swooping I have now a jvx (a bit more my type of wing)
THX

Try a Katana. Dives like a Velocity and turns like a Stiletto. I spent 2 years under a FX and never really liked it. The Katana dosen't swoop QUITE as far, but it's alot more fun to fly.

I concur. For carefree fun (for experienced HP canopy pilots), the Katana is a total blast. It's a very fun, playful toy. It doesn't require the attention of the Velocity, but it performs right up into the crossbraced range (except for the last half of the swoop).

The Velocity is a whole different breed of canopy. In my experience, I've found that all other crossbraced canopies are more similar than not, and the Velo is in its own class. I'm not saying better or worse, but there's really nothing else on the market that flies like a Velocity. It's a deeply multi-faceted machine, and may require a lot of exploration to really appreciate its tremendous power.

For me, the Velo feel like an extension of my body. The Katana feels more like something I'm playing with/controlling.