Fast

Crossfire 2 Riser Pressure

the strength comes into play in helping with your technique. over the last few years, i have had several different competition canopies, and the last one in particular has very high riser pressure (relative to the one i had before it). Increasing my strength and muscle memory helped develop my technique in dealing with the riser pressure.

does that make sense?

You will just lift your self up closer to the canopy not the canopy closer to you.

Or am I missing something here?

Your confusion is caused by a mistake I see repeated here often: You are changing your reference frame. When riser pressure is light you visualize pulling the canopy down to you (reference frame = pilot). When riser pressure is heavy you visualize pulling yourself up to the canopy (reference frame = canopy). The only thing that has changed is your reference frame. Your choice of reference frame is arbitrary but it must remain consistent throughout your analysis.

To gain a better understanding of what is really happening try using the earth as your reference frame. When you pull on your front risers you are creating slack in them and effectively making them shorter. This results in the entire canopy/pilot system rotating (pitching forward) with respect to the earth. This effect is independent of riser pressure.