rocketfeuille

3 rings placement

another quick question - how high off the shoulders are they ment to be when under canopy? Mine seem to be quite high compared to everyone else (too long MLW?)
-----------------------------------
It's like something out of that twilighty show about that zone

ehm, i'm no expert, but i believe this depends on the size of your harness, and also (but not in such a bigway) how tight you wear your legstraps.

i'm sure someone who knows about that will post something more reasonable and undestandable

Check out the site of the Fallen Angels FreeflY Organisation:
http://www.padliangeli.org

Location varies with the type of harness and to some extent the users preference. The harness rotates and usually it doesn't seem to be a big deal. I have a rig with an extra set of three ring harness rings below the chest strap. Hanging in it you still end up upright.

But, if the harness is too big not only will the 3 rings be higher off your shoulders under canopy, but the rig may move around on your back. This could may flying harder, change your fallrate, or in worst case move your BOC far enough thats its hard to reach. A DZO a couple of years ago was jumping one of his rental rigs, did some extreme manuvers, the rig shifted to one side making the BOC handle out of position, and he came close to dumping the reserve. It will also make it harder to reach your toggles and slider. This may lead you to wanting shorter risers that aren't long enough to be held securely in the riser covers.

In addition harness can be big enough to fall out of. :o The worry would mainly be falling out butt first. It's hard to do opening on your belly. But you can get out of most rigs if you squat and pull it off over your head. A rig thats too big can contribute to this. Don't worry too much about this. It's pretty tough to do.

Have someone you trust check the rig size. Hang in it on the ground. Some people like loser leg straps and shorter harnesses, others like tighter leg straps and longer MLW's. Another way of checking your harness size is to take your body measurements as if you were ordering the rig new. Then call the manufacturer with the serial number and the measurements and ask them if the rig is the right size. Most harnesses can be adjusted for size by the manufacturer or a master rigger. I'd suggest the manufacturer or a fulltime loft that does this routinely.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE