YISkyDive

Neptune Users..

After doing some searching, i found a great amount of info on the Neptune units, but i still am at a loss on two things..

one, can the unit be heard, under canopy mounted on your wrist with a full face helmet with the visor open?

i use a full face, and the the Z1 free fly style helmet interchanably.

the second question is, does the unit have enough accuracy to learn site picture for highets of 100, 150, and 400 feet?

i currently start my double front approches around 100, but i obviously am starting high and low..

i want to use the under canopy beeps for leaving holding area, turn onto base, and then beginning the manuver. - is this a good use of the beeps? or not so good?

any thoughts would be helpful, i am pretty much set on getting it as a visual alit., but i was wondering other opinions of people when using it in canopy mode.

-dave

one, can the unit be heard, under canopy mounted on your wrist with a full face helmet with the visor open?

Most likely not. I know a few people who have open helmets and can barely hear it on their wrist. Canopy mode is specifically designed for those using it as an audible (inside the helmet).

the second question is, does the unit have enough accuracy to learn site picture for highets of 100, 150, and 400 feet?

As a guide yes. The unit is very accurate, however, density altitude changes your optimal initiation point on every skydive. The neptune, or any device, should be used as an auxiliary tool. I certainly wouldn't recommend using it for a magic turn altitude.

i currently start my double front approches around 100, but i obviously am starting high and low..

The neptune will be of more use to you using it as a setup tool. Designating waypoints for downwind, base and final will help you refine your setup, which is critical to a good HP landing. Until you start getting high enough where judging 50 feet is much more difficult (you're a long way away from that) you have other things you need to be paying attention to at 100 feet. Looking at your neptune isn't one of them.

i want to use the under canopy beeps for leaving holding area, turn onto base, and then beginning the manuver. - is this a good use of the beeps? or not so good?

Yes, but I'd stress not using it to start your manuever. I'd set it so something higher (basically a 'start getting ready to initiate') or lower ('don't even think about initiating') altitude. Personally I prefer the first option (setting it higher).

any thoughts would be helpful, i am pretty much set on getting it as a visual alit., but i was wondering other opinions of people when using it in canopy mode.

As a visual alti, it's awesome. As an audible, it's awesome. Canopy mode is a great tool, but I like canopy mode best for waypoints.

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

thanks for the reply Ian,

yah, i want to use it as a tool, not as a dependent item. I just want to learn my site picture more. I use the hangar, trees, and the accuracy circle, they work well... but sometimes im still a little off.

I am pretty set on getting it. Thanks again

-dave.

I use the hangar, trees, and the accuracy circle, they work well... but sometimes im still a little off.

Cool - just a sidenote of something that came back to haunt me when I started competing. I never realized how much I used my local references for height, etc. Suddenly when they were all gone I was all messed up. When you feel like you're getting comfy, move your 'gates' so that the references are all wrong. It'll be a good indicator on what you need to work on next.

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

Look into the Neptune Wave. It's an audible only version of the Neptune. It's a cheaper alternative to the full featured Neptune if you're only going to use it as an audible.

Jeff
Shhh... you hear that sound? That's the sound of nobody caring!

I never realized how much I used my local references for height, etc. Suddenly when they were all gone I was all messed up.

This is so true! At my home DZ I initiate 90% of my swoops by just using visual references. But when I get to another DZ, I'm all messed up. It takes me several jumps to get dialed in and find myself having to use my leg mounted altimeter to cross reference these new visual cues much more often.

Cheers!

--Jairo
Low Profile, snag free helmet mount for your Sony X3000 action cam!

thanks for the advice Ian!(and others)

yah, my dad warned me of this and said no matter how good one gets, never ever try to go all out at location you are not completly familar with because thats how you can get hurt really easy, due to the diffrences.

I'm not using the noodles yet (mostly because of what happened at ASC.) I'm using the accuracy circle to kinda swoop into.

I know when i came from florida, and jumped in PA, i was a little funky on accuracy for about 3 or 4 jumps because everything was different.

thanks for the heads up all!

-dave

Depends on your hearing. I've heard my wrist mount Neptune go off on a Birdman jump before.;)

Then again, mine does seem to be a lot louder than someone elses Neptune I've listend to. *shrug*
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™