Bartje

What are funjumps,..

What are funjumps,..

I was in a discussion and somebody asked me how many jumps I had.
I said 1500 funjumps and perhaps 150 workjumps.
He had over 6000 jumps with 5000 workjumps (tandem).
What value can you give such man when he's start talking about canopy flying? He is less years in he sport then me and never jumped higher than 1.9wl.
For shure he can learn me something about tandem canopy flying but what with his other canopy skills. He is jumping a stil.120 and he pull rank on me when I start giving information at somebody.

Any idea's somebody?

A FreeFly Gypsy

What value can you give such man when he's start talking about canopy flying? He is less years in he sport then me and never jumped higher than 1.9wl.

Honestly it all depends HOW he flies it. I've seen people with less jumps than I fly spectacularly (this includes pattern, safety, etc) and conversely I've seen people with thousands more fly like a student.

Jumps matter, yes, but it's what was done with them that matters more.

Basically good/bad advice can come from anyone. I know that doesn't help ya though cause I guess without seeing and listening to the person it's hard to say how much value they have. :)
Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

Honestly it all depends HOW he flies it.

For me he sucks but I have to be carefull because I'm now with a prejudice mind.
He's way to conservative and all things what he think is good is the only way.
The question is in fact, can you outrank somebody when you have more jumps but less funjumps than the other person? What value is there in workjumps? (on the matter canopy flying).

A FreeFly Gypsy

The question is in fact, can you outrank somebody when you have more jumps but less funjumps than the other person? What value is there in workjumps? (on the matter canopy flying).

I'm sorry but, who the fuck cares.

Seriously. I've taken great advice from people with under 100 jumps before and have taken advice from people with over 5,000 jumps. Which opinion means more? Well, which ever one I feel like has the best informed opinion and decision making process.

I've met jumpers with a shitload of jumps that are stuck in their old and outdated ways, I've met jumpers that are just starting out with their head planted firmly in their ass as well.

This isn't the military, this isn't a cast society, this is skydiving. Take advice from who you believe is giving you the best advice (within reason for you 100 jump wonders asking about high wingloadings and swooping for example).

If you're worried about someone giving bad advice to a jumper at your DZ, talk to the jumper getting the advice, give that jumper your opinion and back it up with facts and reasonings. People are generally intelligent and can make decisions. If it truely becomes a safety factor, bring in the S&TA (or your country's equivelent).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Not at all!
He gave me advice concernig the flightpattern and how to start a swoop.
Like it's better to make a big long turn instead to hook it. His advice was much more detailed!!
I know I still have much to learn and maybe at the end of this year I will downsize. But the year just started......:P