xavenger

Hurting myself - plz comment on my wing loading ..

Hey you lot

Stuck a post in Safety and Training which I would like some of you canopy experts to comment on. I'm a newbie skydiver, keep hurting myself on my canopy (just really done it - broke foot, tib, fib etc), your comment on my wing loading would be good if you have a minute

Click here!

J

spamming the forums= bad

Did you bother taking a look at the thread before posting this accusation? It seems clear to me that this guy is not spamming or trolling.

Here are my comments: My first canopy was loaded similarly to yours (a Sabre 150 at about 1.33:1). But everyone is different. I'm the type who likes to drive fast and take chances. Even so I definitely had my hands full at that wing loading.

I am far from a canopy flying expert but I understand your delima. I bought a TurboZX-165 at jump number 120 and I was loading it at 1.37. I had primarily flown a PD-190 prior to that so it was quite a change. Although I found the 165 fairly easy to fly and land, I felt there wasn't enough brakes to slow it down. For the most part I stood up the landing with a few steps, however the few times I got myself in trouble; downwinders or cutoff on approach it was pretty scary. Also when I didn't jump for a couple of months due to various circumstances the landings seemed very fast.

Probably the most important thing I've learned about landings so far is NEVER stop flying the canopy. The few times I've been injured; sprained foot, twisted knee, etc. were due to not controlling the canopy until I was standing still.

I have just recently taken another giant step. I purchased a new Nitro 135, which I am loading at 1.75, and I just broke 300 jumps at Rantoul. While it is a very aggressive canopy and sometimes I find myself coming in very fast I never stop flying it and I'm really enjoying it.

I downwinded it last weekend with about 10 jumps on it, following the first person down's approach in the main landing area at Perris, and there was some apprehension, but no fear. I pulled on the toggles and slid along the ground probably 40 yards/meters and ending up sliding on my butt to slow it down a little quicker. I was excited about trying it again to see if I could stand it up!

However, a friend of mine, who jumps every couple of months is loading his Hornet 190 at about 1.25 with 130 jumps, and consistently has problems with his landings. I think part of his problem is depth perception. The other is currency. And finally the wing loading must weigh in. An improvement in any of these areas and I'm sure he would stand up almost every landing.

A brief comment on my related experience. I roadraced motorcyles for 8 years and I am very experienced with making subtle changes lap after lap to decrease the time it takes to get around a race track. Racing like skydiving is done very much by the seat of your pants. The smaller change you can make the closer to the limit you can get without crossing over. Under a larger canopy the same input will result in less of a change allowing you to build this muscle in smaller steps.