andyfreefly1

HMA line replacement

I recently purchased a Xaos 21 and am thoroughly impressed with the overall performance, landings and consistent openings.

My only concern is when to replace HMA lines? I have heard various numbers varying from 100 to 400 jumps. I inspect my lines on a regular basis, but would like to err on the side of caution. I would be interested in anyone's experiences with replacing HMA lines.

Thanks Andy B|

I'm fairly convinced HMA lasts quite a bit longer than it's recommended life, however I will be replacing mine at about 600. If it hasn't been done already, I highly recommend replacing the brake lines with 400 lb dacron. If you buy direct from Precision, they're pretty cheap.

After seeing the affect of a broken brake line during a landing, I won't take any chances.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I have about 200 on mine and they look good. One thing I don't like is that they use an end-stop bartacker instead of a center-stop. This may be due in some part to the small size of the lines. My bartacks are constantly fraying.
I intend if I keep this canopy and reline it (I had figured another 100 jumps; 300 total), I would reline it with vectran. I am not happy with the hma for a number of reasons, most prevalent are:
1. high friction of the lines, seems easy to tension-knot them. Maybe this is just when unloaded.
2. my lack of knowledge about the material and general ignorance. A lot more is known about vectran, and it seems easier to detect line faults/wear.
Hookitt-- please let me know if this brake-line replacement is a recommendation from precision, or how did you come up with this info. I have heard nothing. I definitely don't want a brake line failing on landing...ouch (at best).
Troy

I am now free to exercise my downward mobility.

Web Racer,

I have recently been researching the difference in canopy lines and why they choose them. I have contacted three of the major manufacturers (Icarus, PD, Precision Aerodynamics) and asked their R&D teams why they choose the lines they have choosen. Three of the best sources for answers were Mell, and Kirk from Icarus (South Carolina, and Chicago) as well as George Halloway from Precision. PD really wasn't difficult but did not have anyone on hand to answer my in depth questions.

The difference between HMA (high modulus aramid, also known as Technora) and Vectran are slight. They are both similar to Kevlar line but have different chemical structures which give them their distinct characteristics during wear and tear. Vectran is not as strong as Technora but at the moment most canopy companies have not researched technora (HMA) enough to standardize the use on canopies. Precision uses three different tensile strengths of line on one canopy. I am not sure why George has decided to do this but that is there R&D. Currently other canopy makers are trying to figure out a way to work with HMA or technora but have not gotten all the kinks out. I expect that we will be seeing a lot more of this stuff sooner down the road the way the sport and technology is progressing.

If your bar tacks are fuzzing out and loosening try different thread. B thread instead of E thread. Just my $.02...

I know HMA is relatively new but it is the stronger line but most stress test that have been tried on it. It just shows little to no sign of wear unlike vectran.
It can also be made in smaller diameters than vectran. It just hasn't been proven to be a good all around sport canopy line. I think George and Precision are trying to change this.

G

"The edge ... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those that have gone over"

Hookitt-- please let me know if this brake-line replacement is a recommendation from precision, or how did you come up with this info. I have heard nothing. I definitely don't want a brake line failing on landing...ouch (at best).
Troy

The new Xaos are coming with Dacron lower brake lines, for wear resons. I'd ask Chris at Precision also known as GroundZero on DZ.com and he'll be able to tell you whatever you need to know.
D

It just shows little to no sign of wear like vectran.

If you know what to look for Vectran makes it's wear very easy to spot. Pitting is the most common sign of line wear. Problem is that people A) don't know what to look for, and B) Try and squeeze more life than they should out of their lines under the excuse that Vectran just gets dirtier faster.

Blue ones,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

Hookitt-- please let me know if this brake-line replacement is a recommendation from precision, or how did you come up with this info.

They now come stock with 400 lb brake lines. Call them up. It's cheap insurance. My original HMA brakelines were fine when i replaced them but leaving them as is didn't give me the warm and fuzzies.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto