conor

Safety in High-Performance Canopy Piloting

I hoped Jim wouldn't show a bad one.

I wish there were more shown. And more grafic descriptions of the injuries. Education and reality will do wonders to prevent other incidents.

3rd time as "1st responder"...as I'm removing my pull up cord a crash sound of a car hitting a plane one the ground, I felt a thud in the ground.
Someone screamed. I looked and saw a rolled up Vel.103. I ran to it and a guy in mud with his face a bit puffy when I pulled back the canopy.
He dented the soft earth, bounced over '30 to roll up and stop. His face, well not puffy but, crushed. I knew him for 12 years and did not recognize him (on his new canopy/20 jumps).
He was NOT in mud and some sticks under his leg. It was his blood all over me and his femur cutting through his jump suit. He has spent the last 16 months of his time mostly in a hospital. Two admittions to ICU.
His face is rebuilt and he is recognizable again.
*****This is the type of thing that I have learn from. This is what I will never forget and why I wanted to know if the Video clip shown was a survived one.
-Grant G.

*****This is the type of thing that I have learn from. This is what I will never forget and why I wanted to know if the Video clip shown was a survived one.

And this is the type of thing I'm talking about in my other thread. I wish people would have to see the reults of these things, along with all the glamor they see, before making their decision about thow cool they want to be flying something beyond their abilities.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Concerning the video of andy's fuck up.
When I'm in the dive I try to keep looking at my final destination, the end of the swoop, or at the horizon, in stead of at the ground under me for example. I figure this may help in sensing whether I can complete the recovery arch without hitting the ground a la Andy. I know racers do this when driving. Looking far ahead will help them determine whether they can drive the race-line that they intend.

Are there others that do this? Can you confirm whether this is a good method or not?

Jaap

If you are too steep on the entrance gates and fixated on making them at all costs, then you are eventually gonna pay. Another fine example of someone not making it around the corner due to being fixated on making it legal into the course was Andy Farrington's rear-riser stall/pond smash at SkyQuest. You know, the one where his shoe flies off and almost hits the cameraman. In competition many people will do whatever it takes to make that first gate, often times having to dig heavilly to get around the corner. The opposite of that are the people that look all the way down the course and strive to just barely get their toes below the entrance gates. When they fail they get "vertical extensions". It's that side of the coin that we see much more of today. Pond and land-strikes are WAY down (in competition) from just two years ago.

Chuck