bigG

Spectre 135 at 1.4 WL

Just wanted to know if anyone jumps a highly loaded Spectre and how are the flight characteristics under such a high (1.4-1.6) wing loading?

I am looking for a general all purpose canopy and have a choice of Stiletto 135, Spectre135 and Sabre (original) 135.

Any comments appreciated.

G.

Done about 20 on a Spectre 97 loaded at 1.7. Flies really nice, inputs are very direct, stall is still progressive predictable and easily controllable. Will not swoop as long as a sabre2 of same loading.
Openings are a bit snivelly but can spank you a bit at the end.
Hope this is of help

The good people at PD have posted a wing loading chart for each of their canopies; you are way past the limit for the Spectre at 1.4:1. You really should seriously consider a larger Spectre, or a higher performance canopy that is designed to fly properly at higher wing loadings.

I am looking for a general all purpose canopy and have a choice of Stiletto 135, Spectre135 and Sabre (original) 135.

From your profile I see you do wingsuit, there has been
a recent thread on a malfunction /cut away with a stiletto,
I dont think the wing loading will be too much of a factor,
I load mine close to 1.4, flies fine, lands fine.
Depends on what you prefer, Spectres have snivelly
openings, have a steeper glide than a Sabre, but
adding some breaks gets you back from long spots.

B|

If you take the max wingload on each of the Spectre sizes it is 1.6, with the "expert" at 1.3.

I read their table's "max" as an "expert" who put on weight, either lead or pizza.

The Spectre is not a swooper's canopy, and it performs poorly when highly loaded. The Spectre has high toggle and riser tension, and its short recovery arc means dangerous maneuvers too close to the ground...a bad habit to develop. Of all this person's canopy choices none have a differential line trim meaning poor flaring and swooping charactistics. The person should buy something more suitable for the direction he's headed, and it should be sized such that he can play with a weight vest rather than being at the end of the envelope.

He said he is looking for a general all purpose canopy,doesn't suggest that he is in to swooping.
Maybe he can clarify.
I would have some concern if he regularily jumped
at or near sea level, then moved to a DZ with a much higher elevation.

***none have a differential line trim meaning poor flaring and swooping charactistics.

If you are including the Stiletto in this satement (it was one of the choices), I have several thousand jumps on Stilettos with which to disagree with you.

Have you considered sharing some of your experience such as jump numbers and canopy types with the rest of class? Also, have you considered providing some examples of canopies you feel would be suitable (or at least those that would meet your design criteria)?

...none have a differential line trim meaning poor flaring and swooping charactistics.

I was generalizing, sorry. Some of the newer performance canopies have the flaring power of larger canopies due to their differential line trim; the Crossfire and Velocity canopies are good examples. I've read here on this site that the Stiletto performance limit is somewhere around 1.8:1, which is off the PD wing load chart. However, the Crossfire and Velocity canopies have a much higher recommended wing loadings. I suppose I'm just being conservative in following the manufacturer's suggestions. BTW, I would rather fly a Crossfire at 1.4:1 than a Spectre at 1.4:1...any day! The Spectre is a fine canopy with the best opening characteristics I've ever experienced, but it is a canopy for those off of student status or those still jumping following injuries, IMHO. Jumps are spendy, and I still want to have fun after tossing the pilot chute; its got to be at least a nine-cell canopy!

I put about 400 jumps on a Spectre 150 loaded at 1.4:1. I thought it was a great canopy. It's glide angle is steeper than the Stiletto and Sabre1, but it opens well, and is more forgiving of poor body position than the Stiletto.

If you are looking for a general purpose canopy which will be fun to fly without some of the baggage that comes with a fully eliptical design, I think the Spectre would be good for you.

I would stay away from the Sabre1, not that it is a bad canopy, but the Spectre and Stiletto are both superior designs IMHO, and the resale value of used Sabre1's is very low and dropping.

- Dan G