johnny1488

Harness input w/ extra speed

I've been messing with my new xfire2 loaded at about 1.4 and have tried to initiate a harness turn/carve in the air with some extra speed but the g's just kinda pull me down in the harness until a lot of the speed is gone. My canopy isnt the most sensitive to harness input at 1.4 I know but I turn pretty good in full flight. Is it worth pursuing hurling myself to on side or the other during plane out or just after initial input to get a turn started or am I gonna have to rely on the toggles?

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

I also fly a relatively lightly loaded canopy. However, once I discovered what harness input would do I'll never land any other way. I start my turn or carve with the risers. Then I use the harness input, without changing riser position, to gain more speed. I usually just start the turn and then when I see I'm in good position I dump the harness input in. You can also use it for a faster recovery if needed.

how does one go about harness turns? Just shifting weight onto one leg strap? I guess thats another thing to add to my list of "do it at altitude's"...:)

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

how does one go about harness turns?

Well....start up high....to make a left turn.....lift your left leg up high. Then drop it lifting your right leg over your left dropping your hips at the same time. Voila.......as much turn as your going to get with your current canopy. Can vary from a snap 360 to, like my canopy, a gentle left turn. Do it while loading a canopy during a HP landing and the results multiply. B|

so its basically unweighting the leg strap/side you want to turn, then swinging your weight onto it? Is a harness turn more a of a diving turn, i.e. like a front riser turn?

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

so its basically unweighting the leg strap/side you want to turn, then swinging your weight onto it? Is a harness turn more a of a diving turn, i.e. like a front riser turn?

#1 Yep!!
#2 I find that it increases my speed and dive significantly. OTOH opposite input can tame the dive and help you recover faster if you need to. I almost always use it in conjunction with riser input. Except just after opening when my hands are too busy to steer. I'll lean in the harness to steer towards the DZ. Not overly effective at my 1.3 wing loading though.