ianmdrennan

Reserves, Gear and Pond swooping

Hi All,

I'm thinking of trying out the Redbull swoop contest in SKNE for sh*ts and giggles this july and I'm concerned about water damage to my gear - particularly the reserve.

To those of you who do this regularly, are there any particular things I should know about keeping my gear in good shape with water landings (except taking the cypress out :)
Also do you typically have a rig dedicated to pond swooping?

Thanks for the info,
Blue skies
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

water will do nothing to your reserve as long as (say if you got wet), after your done with competition, you take it apart, and dry it out. it will do nothing to effect it. i know many people who have rigs that have been soaked many times, and there is not a thing wrong with their ;):)
just make sure, if you get wet, you take the rig apart after your done with competition, dry it out, otherwise it will mil-dew

later

So if it's a 2 day comp I can dry it out at the end of the 2nd day? How long before mildew starts to develop?

wow, um, i really don't know about that one. i have been wet before, and i just jumped till the end of the day, then pulled my reserve out. not too sure if it would be the best idea to go 2 days, but it may be ok.

my advice would be, just don't get wet the first day :P:ph34r:;):)
maybe someone will get on here with that kind of info, i have no clue how long it takes for the mildew to develop.

later

So is it safe to jump with a wet reserve?

i would assume so, i see people do it all the time. i have jumped my main wet, and have had no problems. i don't think this situation has ever come up (test a reserve while wet). maybe it should be something that could/should be done.

later

Other than not getting wet, what will help is to scotchguard your gear and get it out of the water quickly. Even after a complete submersion last year in ME, my reserve remained dry, save a little moisture around the PC and the line stows.

Oh, and it really helps if you're a rigger. Otherwise, you may find yourself at the mercy of a stranger.

Jason

My rig has been completely submerged (last round of the 01 PSN, like everyone else), with the CYPRES in, and it didn't hurt anything. My reserve freebag was wet, but only the center cell of the reserve got a bit damp. The cypres was not affected at all. As to your main being wet, mine has been completely soaked several times. Shake it out, wipe it off with a towell, pack it up, then jump it. Jumping it is the fastest, surest way to get it dried out. Leaving it laying out in the sun is the fastest way to get your canopy out of trim (assuming spectra lines). Openings with wet canopies can range from slightly more snivelly to slightly more crisp. It's pretty funny getting rained on during opening. On crossbraced canopies it can be a bit of a chore to get the water out of your completely closed off cells. It's best to have some buddies around to help you hold the canopy up by the tail and shake it out.

Chuck