Unutsch

what happens when a stearing line brakes??

me and my friends had a long discussion (but couldn't agree in all points) about what happens on ZP HP canopy at a wingloading around 1.5 or more when a stearing line brakes during a fast turn, initiated with the toggle? will the canopy make a even faster turn into the opposite direction or will it just plane out and fly just a bit in the opposite direction (since the side with the stearing line intact would still hold down the tail and increase drag)...

i hope i'll get a lot of answers, since my stearing lines are in a very m/bad shape which makes me pretty much SCARED... uh, and i really really hope Stane from AtAir will have the time to change them till May 1st, so that i can jump with no bad feeling for the May 1st 4 day boogie here in Maribor!

Check out the site of the Fallen Angels FreeflY Organisation:
http://www.padliangeli.org

I wouldn't be worried about a steering line breaking while you are turning you can deal with that on back risers.
But if your brake lines are as bad as you make out, and you are performing high performance landiing, (corect me if your not) which i guess you are because you profile says your jumping a 100sq ft canopy, i would be more concerned about landing and a toggle braking. I Have heard to many reports of people getting hurt or killed with toggles breaking on landing.
If i was you i wouldn't jump that canopy until you brake lines are fixed.
Safe jumps

Gary Harbird

my "high performance" landings consist of a hard 90° toggle turn, usually some 10 meters to high --> some 45 of last 50 jumps, 4 of them at perfect height (the canopy dived out on its own some 1 meter above ground), and 1 to low at strong winds - landed safely though)... but i'm starting to learn the front riser approach, which is fairly difficult due to short toggles...

i had the steering lines inspected by a rigger, who said they are good for another 100 jumps, but this just isn't enough, and am sending the canopy to Stane on Monday

i'm fully aware of the danger of a steering line braking on landing, but i still don't know what happens with the canopy if the steering line brakes on a hard turn

If you would like to know what happens if a steering line breaks during a landing, PM Titaniumlegs and ask him why he is called Titaniumlegs. He's a walking miracle.

I will refrain from commenting about the toggle hook turn. Reading the Thread Jimbo posted would be a good start.
-
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Jimbo, I don't totally agree with your statement.
First of all I front riser turn, But I have a different view on toggle hooking than you.
With the highly loaded canopies today it is not unusual for a canopy to have a negative dive arc, which leads me to believe that the canopy will keep diving, So what does it matter if you start you turn with a front riser or toggle they will both dive, especially if you crank it, actually a front riser turn makes the canopy more susceptible to turbulence, so a toggle hook could actually be safer if executed right. I like to do carving turn its more efficient for me at my wing loading, and i feel i generate more speed this way. But I know there are people out there who like to crank hooks.

Just my 2 cents
Gary Harbird

hehehehehe

Stane from AtAit took a look at the steering lines, and said they were A OK!!! PERFECT!!!! NOTHING WRONG!!!!! :D:D:D

i couldn't understand everything he was talking about, but he mentioned something about non double lines,:S dunno, as long as he says they're ok, everything's fine!!!!!

all i need now is to persuaid my father to lend me some money for the boogie!!!!!