jdfreefly

Son of "The perfect swoop"

Well I pulled it off. Perfect front riser carving turn into a double front riser dive. Slowly let up and damned if I'm not planing out right along the ground!

Let out a whoop, so everyone can turn and see my "perfect swoop". Suddenly, there is a problem. I realize that with this much momentum, I am going to get about 20-30 feet more than I thought. Hmmm.... let's see, that would put me... right into that fucking fence. Well shit. That was really stupid.

So i lay back in the surf, and start dragging my hands behind me. I briefly thought about just yanking it to one side but it looks like I am going to make it.

I come to a skidding stop about 10 feet from the fence. Since I had to be a show off and scream out as I was coming in, everyone on the deck is watching me.....and laughing.

My mistake was that I was swooping for accuracy by setting up towards the fence, and I was changing my swoop style..all on the same jump. Also, it is a rare occasion that the wind at our dz blows in the direction that it was on sunday, so it was an unfamiliar aproach.

Aside from my pride, and a little brush burn on the palm of my hand, stupid didn't hurt...this time.

Methane Freefly - got stink?

well, if it where me, i wouldn't set up that close to the fense in the first place. try doing accracy with some other things that aren't solid, IE if you screw up, and hit is, it won't hurt.

and as to sliding in, if it where me (i have no clue if you have experience doing this or not, but you should try it some) i'd carve it off to one side or the other. but if you have never done it before, on a swoop like that you wouldn't want to try ;)

later

I would have carved it if I had realized sooner just how far I was going to over shoot. The problem was that the distance totally caught me off guard.

Also, I set up deeper (ie - farther from the fence) then I had all weekend. I didn't expect to run out of room.

Methane Freefly - got stink?

Last year, UK 4 way National championships, me bright orange canopy, one of the last lifts - all the hot stuff including the Golden Knights watching. Perfecto swoop, screaming across the landing area, howling with glee, running out of space, over the peas and into a pea field, legs stopped by crops, body still has about 20mph, face eats dirt. I bowed to a round of applause. DOH!:P:$;)

Rich M