flyhy

linetwist when turning

Everytime I want to do a 180+ deg full turn or spin to lose height I get line twists. Even when I pull my toggles down very soft and slowly, as soon as I hold them down my canopy gets unstable, feels like collapsing and ends up in a linetwist which is quite disturbing when happening at about 1000ft or so. I tried to not pull them down to the bottom as my steering lines might be too short... but that doesn't help, then I don't get a full turn. Any advice?

your steering lines are too short as you assessed or conversily your arms are too long.
as you do the turn you are stalling that side of the canopy causing theat side of the canopy to rotate backwards as the other side moves forward.
Canopies have a definate control range the top is full speed the bottom is is WHEN the canopy stalls. Your arm length may easily exceed this distance.
First determine that your steering lines allow the canopy to fly with the tail all the way up and adjust it so that they are.
Second, determine where your canopy stalls. This is not nessecarily when your hands are all the down. It might be at you waist, your midriff, your nipples, where ever.
Thrid, never turn or flare past this point with that canopy because you now know where the line is that that you get into trouble.
Fourth, do this with every canopy you ever own.

Hope this helps;)
hutch

But I just got them replaced by a parachute technician and he didn't day anything about it. And I wonder that I can't do full turns at all. They start as slow half turns and the next step is a line twist. So even too short brake lines should have a point of turning a bit more 'exciting' before ending up stalled?!

Not necessarily, effectively you are doing a depression turn from a partially stalled canopy (ie with some brakes already applied on both sides). Pulling down a toggle from that setting will cause a fast on-the-spot turn.
There are plenty of Sabre 170s around. Measure your lines up against another one and see (technicians do get it wrong occasionally and are usually only too happy to admit it and put things right).