airdrew20012001

The set up for down wind landings

On some medium wind days I have been wanting to start (very slowly) experimenting with downwinders. I have done a few out of neccesity in the past and never had a problem. I have close to 400 jumps, over 100 on a stilletto loaded to 1.35. I usually do either a 180 or 270 on lower wind days and have that pretty dialed in.
Drewfus McDoofus

When I started experimenting with downwinders I started with simple 90 and was setting up way out so I don't just swoop right through and out of the landing area. Just remember to be very careful, take it slow and do not quit flying the canopy until you have stopped.
Alex

A few suggestions:
1. Pick your area carefully. It must, of course, be away from everyone else, without risk of kids or dogs running around.
2. Pick your surface carefully. Damp grass is a good surface, hard prairie is really bad. You want something flat and smooth with low friction, so you don't catch a foot or a toe. Water is ideal, but is sort of hard on gear.
3. Don't be afraid to lay it down. If you know you're going to run into trouble, remember it's a lot better to be sliding on your butt at 20mph than going headfirst into the ground at 20mph.
4. Like someone else said, never stop flying the canopy until it collapses into a pile.
-bill von