LawnDart21

POND SWOOPING QUESTION

So there I was, watching the 2001 pond swooping video from the ranch, when the thought ocurred to me that everyone in the competition chowed at one point or another (intentionally or unitentionally, especially during the raft round), completely submerging their reserves in the pond. My question is do competitors repack their reserves after each chow? Or do they just jump with wet gear and then dry it all out at the end of the day. The end of the video showed all teh main canopies lying out in th esun drying. I was just wondering what the deal was with wet reserves.
"I live to EFS"
Tom

I have been told by several riggers (after I went for a swim in the DZ pond) that I could safely continue jumping the rig for the rest of the weekend, and should open it up at the end of jumping to let it dry out unpacked... made 4 or 5 more runs at the pond that weekend (staying dry on each) then opened the reserve to dry.
btw... a wet main makes a cool cloud of mist when it opens!!!
Peace
Josh
http://www.aerialfusion.com

I do not fire my reserve until a meet is over no matter how wet the rig gets. Some rounds you are so crunched for time that you have to litterally wring the water out of your main and pack it up. The reason for that is that you are not allowed to change canopies in between rounds of similar type, speed, distance or accuracy for example. At least that is how it is in PPPB meets. At the Ranch, you could jump anything you wanted, so long as the main you jumped in the raft accuracy round was jumped previously in the meet.
Concerning chows at the Ranch Pond Swoop Nationals: yes everyone I know got wet at least once unintentionally. What I did after sticking my rig in the water the last two rounds (freestyle water displacement and raft accuracy) was to cut away my main and shake it out, then go over in the shade and fire my reserve. The freebag was pretty wet, but the reserve itself was only damp in a couple of places. I laid the freebag out in the sun and then flew my reserve dry in the wind for about ten minutes till it was completely dry. I then went back out in the sun and flew my main dry. The main is still in plenty good trim and I just sponge-wiped off the mud later.
Chuck.
My webpage HERE