grasshopper

technique vs. design and wing loading

people seem to be of the impression that to swoop they need more wingloading and a 9-cell elliptical (or x-braced). in my experience that is not true. technique is the most important part.
let me share my experience. I have about 300 jumps on a spectre 120 loaded just under max. rec. wing loading (1.6). I can swoop it somewhat respectably with less than a 180 degree turn. I have started flying a 107 vengeance (9-cell elliptical with airlocks) at just under the max. rec. wing loading (1.8). I am getting very little swoop out of it. If I was looking at the higher wing-loading and/or the 9-cell elliptical over the tapered 7-cell to be my answer for longer swoops, I would be greatly disappointed. I am the first to admit I have a lot to learn about this canopy to get decent landings out of it.
moral of my story: don't judge someone else's abilty to swoop based on their canopy selection

Well...you can read my 4,000 posts on the subject. I can swoop a square. I have heard of a guy in Alabama that could swoop a 350 sq ft XX HALO rig. Of course....I think he weighed about 375...LOL
"Houston? That place is full of Crack heads and debutantes."- Hank Hill
Clay

Damn right! - I know a guy who borrowed a sabre 135 (normally swoops large on a 105) and out swooped the guys on sub-100's - its NOT the canopy its definatly the pilot!
bsbd
"In a world where we are slaves to gravity I am pleased to be a freedom fighter"

Definitely the pilot, but that is not to say that the canopy has nothing to do with it. The Spectre and the Vengeance are very different canopies. Once you find the sweet spot on the Vengeance, though, it will out swoop the Spectre, guaranteed.
Steve

There is also a minimum wing loading for a safe swoop.
Someone who jumps a Sabre loaded at 1.2 or 1.3 soon finds out that it slows down fast after the turn to final, so unless you hook it low, you might as well just make a straight-in conventional approach. Surfing with a lightly loaded canopy thus requires an exquisite sense of timing to finish the hook at the last possible moment, to have enough speed for a decent distance. But what kind of experience level would you expect to find jumping a Sabre at 1.2 or 1.3?
Mark

"Surfing with a lightly loaded canopy thus requires an exquisite sense of timing to finish the hook at the last possible moment, to have enough speed for a decent distance. But what kind of experience level would you expect to find jumping a Sabre at 1.2 or 1.3?"
So......you're saying I'm that good? :D
"Houston? That place is full of Crack heads and debutantes."- Hank Hill
Clay