coho21

Toggle Assembly

I just received my main yesterday and I assembled it onto my risers. Before you begin to flame me I am going to get it inspected by a rigger. (mainly because I need new links)

But my question is this:

What is the proper technique for attaching the brake lines to the toggles?

Thanks.
Jensen

Now, watch me get flamed...

This is probably not the method recommended by your manufacturer. However (everyone with the flame throwers, please note) this is the method that my canopy manufacturer recommends for attaching toggles.

1) Figure out where you want the toggle.
2) Tie a figure eight, or other solid, non-slipping knot (larger than your grommet) just above that point.
3) Bend the steering line over just above the knot.
4) Slip the loop (bend in the line) through the grommet on the toggle.
5) Pull through several inches of line (still in a loop).
6) Slide the toggle through the loop.
7) Pull the steering line back through the grommet until it goes tight.

You should end up with a loop of your line wrapped around your toggle, held in place by the knot.

This method gives me easy to move toggles (I have to move mine between two different positions quite frequently, depending on the type of jump), and has never slipped for me.

Note that my lines are Dacron. Spectra and Vectran are probably slicker (as well as thinner) so you should be very sure of the knot you use if you are trying this on Spectra or Vectran lines.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Easiest way... read the directions in PD's manual. It involves passing the eyelet through the grommet, slipping the bottom of the toggle through the eyelet and removing the slack.

Dont just tye a simple knot on the toggle, and don't slip the eyelet over the top part of the toggle. Have a rigger look over all the lines and expecially the toggles before you jump it.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com