skydiverek

Slider grommets (brass or stainless steel)?

It seems like stainless steel slider grommets are superior to brass ones. But still, some manufacturers offer brass ones as an option (e.g. PD). Who would want them and for what reason?
One time I heard that brass ones are lighter that stainless steel ones, and thus generate less momentum (and speed) traveling down the lines, contributing to softer openings. Is it true?
Thanks,
Bart

Bringing this thread back after doing a search on this.
Was wondering if brass is lighter than the stainless steel ones? Would it speed my openings up much if I switched from brass to SS? My xaos has brass and is showing wear. I think PD uses only SS. Thoughts, facts, opinions...
Thanx!

I prefer B-12 snaps on my leg straps, even though they're not available in stainless steel. I still use wide (Type 8) risers, not mini-risers, and Rapide links, not soft links. Call me a dinosaur.

I've had sliders with brass grommets and sliders with stainless grommets -- and I'll never again buy brass slider grommets, only stainless. The stainless grommets have less oxidation, less crud buildup, require less cleaning, and transfer less crud to the lines. They're also stronger, won't wear as much, and are much less susceptible to accidental damage (nicks, burrs, getting bent).

Being lighter and more prone to crud accumulation, I could see where brass slider grommets might be incrementally slower to open. I'll let others comment.

It could be thought that a heavier slider (grommets) would tend to result in slower openings because it would take more force to get it accelerated down the lines (opposite of what the OP thought was).

I'm not sure if the weight difference is enough to cause a substantial difference either way, but agree that for every other reason you mentioned (except for higher cost), SS is much better.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

It seems like stainless steel slider grommets are superior to brass ones. But still, some manufacturers offer brass ones as an option (e.g. PD). Who would want them and for what reason?

One time I heard that brass ones are lighter that stainless steel ones, and thus generate less momentum (and speed) traveling down the lines, contributing to softer openings. Is it true?

Thanks,

Bart

I had my Cobalt relined with Vectran. It was originally lined with spectra. The master rigger that did the job told me I needed a slider with SS grommets because the vectran would wear through the brass because it was too soft for the friction that the vectran would produce. I'd never heard of this but since then I've looked at canopies with vectran or HMA and they all have had SS grommets in the slider.

Take a look at the various grommets used on sliders from the manufacturer. You will usually find that the stainless steel ones are probably smaller in diameter. (I don't know offhand what size they are, and they wouldn't have to be that size). I think most people would feel more comfortable having the larger diameter (usually nickel plated) number 8 brass grommets on a canopy that, for example, has larger diameter Dacron lines. There may be other reasons.

My opinion is that I wouldn't even consider that for the same size lines. That would be a very minor difference compared to all the other factors that affect canopy spreading speed.

My xaos has brass grommets with hma lines. Over 1000 jumps hasn't worn through them but I do see some wear and tear in them. I was wondering if it would speed my openings up if I switched to SS. I'm thinking it won't make a difference, especially with the lighter weight steel being used now. Anyone know??

I'm thinking the significance of weight might be getting too much attention. Perhaps friction of the different surfaces is more significant (expecting brass to have more friction). Especially if the brass has been 'grooved' that could drive up friction even more, I would think.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I got my Xaos with SS grommets and it opened OK but the grommets were too small to easily pull down past the toggles. I got a new slider with brass grommets that are larger but the openings were significantly slower. My 21-98 will easily snivel 1500' if you pack with any slider showing past the nose, a friend with an identical canopy eventually cut a 3 or 4 inch hole in the slider (brass grommets) to speed up the openings.
Sometimes you eat the bear..............

My xaos has brass grommets with hma lines. Over 1000 jumps hasn't worn through them but I do see some wear and tear in them. I was wondering if it would speed my openings up if I switched to SS. I'm thinking it won't make a difference, especially with the lighter weight steel being used now. Anyone know??

I've been told that SS being harder and smoother than brass will allow the slider to move down the lines more easily than brass. I can't say that is fact, it's just what I was told by a master rigger.