keane

Safire or Sabre2 ?

Hey Keane.....I just ordered a Safire 169 that is loaded at 1.36:1. I liked it a lot when I flew it this past weekend. I have heard complaints of it not landing right or having problems landing, but I didn't experience ANY of that.
I would recommend the Safire to anyone. However, I have heard nothing but good things about the Sabre2. You are just gonna have to try them out.
Good luck on your decision!!
--------------
Boogie pics coming!!!

I'd suggest flying both before putting your money down. There are good points to both canopies; one will likely be your favorite. If not, fly some other canopies and buy the one you like the best.
pull and flare,
lisa
---
I chose the road less traveled. Now where the hell am I?

Just to be unhelpful, don't forget that Icarus are supposed to be bringing out the Safire Generation II (or whatever it'll be called) soon. Not sure when. It's supposed to make the flare easier (though I've never had any problem with mine).
Geoff

I have close to 300 jumps on my safire at 1.5, and still love it. It doesn't have any opening issues, has never whacked me. Almost always opens on heading. Surfs and flys nice. The landing thing that people talk about isn't that big of a deal. I think what a lot of that is, is that people with short control range canopies get under a safire, and don't flare it all the way down. If you landed a stiletto like that, you would bowtie it and end up on your butt. It is just different, not bad. So it would be a nice choice with good resale when you are done with it.
I think the only thing anybody could possible say bad about the sabre 2 is that it is new, and doesn't have a proven track record. I doubt it has issues though. PD has been doing it for a long time.
Have fun.

One thing about a Safire - you can get it in any size. I got 160, and it makes packing easier - as the container is for 170, and I got exactly the loading I wanted. One other thing - it does not seem to care how I pack it, perfect openings - comment from the guy with Sabre2 was that it still likes the old Sabre tricks - rolling the nose etc.. At least he did not mention slamming..
As others said - jump it - and do not make a decision until you made several jumps to learn the landing - it is fairly different. I liked Safire better, for what it is worth..

comment from the guy with Sabre2 was that it still likes the old Sabre tricks - rolling the nose etc..

Who said this? I have to disagree.. On a Sabre2 loaded at 1.5, I had nothing but spectacular openings.. I did not roll the nose - I just let it hang.. It opened just like a Spectre at the same loading..
Mike

don't forget that Icarus are supposed to be bringing out the Safire Generation II (or whatever it'll be called) soon

I just got an e-mail back from Icarus today in regards to their new Safire that is coming out. Here is what they wrote me:
Yes we will be releasing a generation 2 Safire canopy however, it is
unlikely that this would be within the next 6 months. It would be more
likely to take place mid next year. As a result, you're probably best to
not wait.
Our current lead times on custom orders are 6-8 weeks.

I have replyed to him and asked him what he says we can do with our originals to make them updated/upgraded. I'll let you know when I find out.
Later!!
--------------
Boogie pics coming!!!

I had the opportunity to fly a sabre2 this weekend and I was thrilled with the way it flew, landed and opened. They had a demo day at the dropzone and one of our tandem masters said "if you jump it you will want to buy it." That is exactly what I did; order one today.