apoil

Odyssey Riser Inserts

The Riser Inserts to protect the ends of the cutaway cables on the new Javelins are made of plastic tubing. They mention that a good thing about this is that if they are bent they wont kink up the way hard metal ones would. However, just as I feared, since you have to bend them into a curve when you stow the risers, this curve, after 150 or so pack jobs has become permanent. I'm thinking this can't be good at all. You can see the noticable bend in the risers when they are not under tension.
I've now removed the inserts. I'm wondering what other thoughts there are about this system.

For riser release, riser cable channel inserts, I use 1/4" OD X 0.032" wall, Teflon tubing.
I make one tack 1/4" to 3/8" down from the tubing/channel top.
Yes, there is a curve in the tubing, but so what?
I believe the Javelins use HD Polyethylene, which is stiffer than Teflon. (also more friction than Teflon)
Dave Brownell

So what is that the curve in the tubing puts a curve in the risers. They wont lay flat when I pack. Their effective length can become different depending on how the curved tube is turned in the housing.
There's no guarantee that the tension when under canopy will be able to straighten out the risers. That can't be good.

An honest question and I'm now my judgement is being called into question.
Of course I know why they are there.
However, I dont jump a canopy prone to severe line twists so removing them was a temporary option I considered before soliciting more information.
But how can you say that a stiff curve in the risers wont affect riser function? What if I just go ahead and make one of your risers a centimeter shorter?
They became curved after only 100 or so pack jobs. This doesn't strike me as the best overall design.

I can't imagine this curve making for a one CM shorter riser under tension/canopy.
If your so concerned about this and qualified, do what I did as described in my first post. (Teflon tubing)
(use size/wall thickness specified. I have stock on this size Teflon tubing, and can send you detailed instructions. Or, if you say--"I'm not concerned about severe line twist"---then just leave them out.
Dave Brownell
DB Tech
Mesa, AZ