halfbaked66

Main Risers and 3-rings?

Either one is safe for freeflying... they aren't likely to come out of your rig until after you've pulled, so if you have Type 8 risers the little bit of riser that shows outside the riser covers shouldn't create a problem.
Large rings are only available on Type 8 (2", large,or wide) risers, mini rings are available on both sizes of risers. Type 8 webbing is stronger than Type 17 (1" or mini), which is why 2" risers are recommended for big guys.
There's a good explanation of the differences between large and mini 3 rings by John Sherman of Jump Shack somewhere in the bowels of this forum; search for it!
pull and flare,
lisa
----
I am a nobody.
Nobody's perfect.
Therefore, I am perfect!

Mmmm..... hate to disagree with you Lisa, especially since you work for a gear shop, but you CAN get large rings on mini risers.... seen it many times (again last week at Espace)....
No one has mentioned it yet, but there is one major advantage to the large ring vs mini rings: mechanical advantage.... I dont have the numbers in front of me, but I believe its about 40 to 1 for the large one, and only 5 to 10 to 1 on the minis (I'm sure the riggers will quote the right numbers).... meaning that on a spinning eliptical with line twists all the way up the lines, you probably wont expereince a hard cutaway at all with large rings (even on mini risers) as opposed to mini rings.
Remi

but you CAN get large rings on mini risers.... seen it many times (again last week at Espace)....

Really?? Most US manufacturers won't build 'em that way. Thanks for the info! I love learning things I didn't know! :)The mech. advantage stats are in the post I mentioned above. Great technical details in that post; worth searching for and reading.
pull and flare,
lisa
----
I am a nobody.
Nobody's perfect.
Therefore, I am perfect!

Why won't some manufacturers make mini risers with large rings? It sounds like the best of both worlds to me - you get the better mechanical advantage plus the reduced drag and the ability to lower your slider.
Anybody know?
thanks
geoff

No Prob Lisa...
The one I saw last week was on a Tear Drop (UK gear) SuperFly, but I'm sure I've seen it elswhere...
Correct me if I'm wrong: but it is no a TSO infraction to change the risers, right (I'm pretty sure, but not being a rigger, I'd rather not make the blanket statement), so one could get such risers (minbi with large rings) from maker A on Rig from B... as long as the Rig's ring is a large one!

I don't see why you would want large rings on mini risers. I would think that the mechanical advantage would have more to do with the riser width and the amount of area the riser is in contact with the rings that the actual ring size themselves. Aside from that it just wouldn't look as nice. There is nothing wrong with either setup in my opinion but if thats how you like it, then go for it.
Safe landings,
Alex D-23912

"I don't see why you would want large rings on mini risers. I would think that the mechanical advantage would have more to do with the riser width and the amount of area the riser is in contact with the rings that the actual ring size themselves."
The riser size has nothing to do with it it's the size of the lever (in this case the rings) that give the mechanical advantage. This is just basic physics. JG

Someone asks:
What are the advantages/disadvantages of the following 3-ring systems :
* mini-ring on type 17
* mini-ring on type 8
* large ring (std ring) on type 8
I am looking to buy my first new rig, it will be mainly for freeflying, but also a little RW.
What would you recommend and why?
DB: Mini ring Type 17 with type 3 reinforcing tape is pretty much the standard now on most rigs.
Mini ring Type 17 Integrity risers are pretty much out.
Mini rings on Type 8 is a configuration that is not recommended by the RWS.
Large rings (std rings) on Type 8 has the highest mechanical advantage and webbing strength/longevity.
Here is one you forgot to mention; it is the configuration for type 17 that is the best, but is rarely seen.
Large (std rings) rings on type 17 mini risers!
This is the best mechanical configuration for type 17, but is rarely seen.
I do have a pair of type 17 risers with standard rings that I built in 1987 that have 400+ jumps on them.
One of the openings was in the category of ultra brutally fast/hard. When I say ultra brutally fast/hard, how does stitches popped on dive loops, deformed delta/stainless connector links and broken lines sound!!
I did not cut away, but had to land with rear risers, as both steering lines were broken!
These type 17 risers with standard rings did not fail on this opening despite not having the type 3 reinforcing tape as used in currently manufactured type 17 risers.
BTW: The canopy was a PD 210. I believe line dump was the cause of this monster opening.
Now jumping a Cobalt 135 on Mini ring Type 17 risers. (I'm 195 OTD)
Dave Brownell
Mesa, AZ