likestojump

classifieds problem

Since the "upgrade" of the classifieds system I am getting a lot of "weird" emails from people. Instead of getting the usual ad responses (the footer and email title is generated by dz.com), I am getting freeform entered texts, like someone is just sending me an email privately. I asked one person, and he said he had a bounce when responding to me, and extracted my email address from the daemon message and sent me a private email. I suspect that's what others have done.

I did try to respond to my own ads, and the issue does not appear to happen.

So - HOW MUCH TESTING ON THE NEW CODE DID YOU GUYS DO ? :(

Please fix. Getting emails titled "I want to buy your gear" is getting annoying and fairly useless :(

I'm glad to help you test.

And it seems the problem is with the way dz.com routes their ad emails, seems to be caught by GMAIL's DMARC policy.

I am pasting the response someone with a YAHOO email got when responding to my ad which has a GMAIL email address

I masked the email address with *****, but please believe me, what's in the ad is a properly formatted style email.

--------------------------------------------
Hi. This is the qmail-send program at dzweb.nmsrv.com.
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

<******* AT gmail.com>:
173.194.79.27 failed after I sent the message.
Remote host said: 550-5.7.1 Unauthenticated email from yahoo.com is not accepted due to domain's
550-5.7.1 DMARC policy. Please contact administrator of yahoo.com domain if
550-5.7.1 this was a legitimate mail. Please visit
550-5.7.1 http://support.google.com/mail/answer/2451690 to learn about DMARC
550 5.7.1 initiative. pt4si6688127pbc.159 - gsmtp

Hi,

This is not a bug with dropzone.com and instead is related to Yahoo's new DMRC policy which makes it impossible for us to send e-mail through them anymore. The way the classifieds has always worked is that we'd use the user's e-mail address that he signed up with, to send the mail to the seller. This then allows direct communication between the two parties.

Yahoo has since however stopped allowing this action. So Yahoo mail users are unable to contact sellers. At least until we manage to redesign our entire e-mail system for the classifieds.

We made a public announcement about this a couple of weeks ago: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4640212

The 'weird' e-mails you're getting are different from private messaging contacts.

We recently added the ability for users to add comments to ads that are up. This then allows for public communication on a topic, that may be useful to other potential buyers browsing that ad.

Buyers and sellers can then leave comments on the item listing for public view. We provide more information on it here: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4643862

Were you guys able to look at the suggestion I posted in that other thread? Seems like it'd work.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message