mountainman

Packing job

I am planning on starting very soon in the chute packing buisness to fund two future AFF courses. I am wondering from those who do it now, or have done it, how long did it take you to get to the point of being able to work at your DZ?? I am not sure if it is going to take two months to get good enough to pack there or more like 2 days.
Any responses would be great!
Cielos azules...
Brandon and Laura
http://home.woh.rr.com/brandonandlaura/
a work in progress

I started packing just after I started jumping last October. I plan on packing at the DZ this summer as soon as school lets out. There really isn't a time frame to learning how to pack well. It's all up to you. If you learn to pack and can do a good quality pack job quickly then you could make some money doing it.
Blue Skies,
Adam

the nice folks from the FAA

are you allowed to say that here?? someone check the rule book!!!
seriously, thanks for the info. I will be taking a little "packing class" from the senior rigger at the DZ and will always be working with them around. I guess this is how they keep it legal.
Thanks again...blue skies, big planes, and NO MALS!!
Brandon and Laura
a work in progress

I am not sure if it is going to take two months to get good enough to pack there or more like 2 days.

Most likely it's going to take more than 2 months to get good enough to work as a packer at your DZ. It's already been mentioned that you're likely to run across more than 10 different canopies with 10 different containers in the space of a day. My guess is that it might take closer to 6 months, maybe even a year before they would let you pack unsupervised or for pay. I know it's not what you were hoping to hear, but you should probably look for another way to fund your training. Have you considered working in Manifest or performing odd jobs around the DZ? The few DZO's I've met always need another hand around the drop zone. I'm sure they can find something for you to do.

mountainman
hey. weve had this conversation before but here it is again, all summed up. The amount of time it takes you to be ready to pack w/out supervision depends on a number of factors.
1st- how often can you get to the dz to practice?
2nd- how easy is it for you to find a variety of different jumpers w/ different rigs to let you practice and teach you? because, like everybody else has said, thers a lot out there to know, and different techniques can really backfire on different canopies.
3rd- naturally, how good are you at it? presently, while im learning to pack there is another person there trying to learn. But hes having an extreamly difficult time getting the concept of it all down. Hes at the point now wheres hes just frustrating a lot of the staff cause they work and work and work and work some more with him to teach him and hes being 'thick headed'. (he doesnt follow instructions well) not saying that this is you, but some things are just naturally easier for others while harder for the rest.
4th- this is by no means sucking up, but are you able to jump right in and really observe an experienced person (say a rigger?) pack? Its the ones that show that they are truely interested in learning that get the best one on one lessons.
5th- can you consistantly get out there & learn/watch/listen/ practice? cause just like all other aspects of skydiving, currency really does have a lot to do with increasing the learning curve.

I havent known how to pack for that long at all. But im out there at least 4 days a week practicing. Even if somebodys in a rush to get on the next load (jm/instructor etc etc) i still watch. And ask a lot of questions! this part is important. you can be told all the info in the world, but if you dont put it into your own words, then it wont stick quite as well.
Ill be packing this summer, but the amount of actuall practice time/ instruction time i will have by then will be extreamly high. Just get into the habit of doing the same things every time you go out to the dz. Practice your emergency procedures. go through your jump run. review your malfuctions. Observe the wind patterns. DO gear checks. ANd practice your packing. hell, if im gonna be at the dz all day, you better believe im doing all the above plus some while there! ITs just like doing your gear check in the same order EVERY TIME. if you do it every single time, then it becomes routine.
in any case, good luck. hope you figure something out.
froggie

Well, I have decided (after reading the posts) to find something else to do. For one, I won't be able to do JACK since I'll be in Mexico for 5 wks studying spanish. And two, six months would take too long since I can't even go to the DZ a whole lot (1.5 hrs away). So, I've found a construction job making about 400 per week, which is damn good! That should pay for a lot of jumps!! Although after 60 hrs or so per week of framing houses, jumping will sound DAMN sweet!!
Thanks for all of the help!!:)NEW AND IMPROVED!!!