froggie

a first rig question

im going thru the tandem progression program right now. But with the locality of the dz (5 minutes away) and the fact that ill be working out there this season, I know that im going to be making a lot of jumps, and will be ready for my own rig soon. My question is, how do i even begin to learn about all of my options for a rig. I know that i can talk to people at the dz, but i was wondering if anyone had any links to articles or anything. Something that i can copy and paste and printout would be great, cause i could refer back to it in an instant, something that doesnt always go perfect when reflecting back on a conversation.
thanks in advance for your help. Please just post or email me any links you may have.
froggie
[email protected]

Kelly, there are numerous factors here..... The first is cost. You need to determine how much you have, and or, are willing to spend. That will be the single largest issue. The argument of new versus used is too vague..... how used? A Mirage with 200 jumps? vs. a brand new Dolphin?
First cost, then fit.......after that it's features.
Leesa Kruse is a great source for the information you want, plus she's just a great person talk to.

thanks fruce. ill be out there tomorrow so ill swing into square3 and talk to the girls.Ill prolly end up doing the same thing that im doing now, putting whatever money i have into an account out there. That really helps becuse then the moneys already where it needs to be~out of my hands.
thanks again, ill talk to lisa tomorrow.
kelly

These should keep you busy for a while.....
Some of the info here only applies to the Racer but there is alot that is just general gear info...
http://www.jumpshack.com/default.asp?CategoryID=TECH
A site I just found with preventative maintenance and other good info...
http://www.noexcusesrigging.com/
All around info...
http://www.makeithappen.com/spsj/
Enjoy,
Craig

kel-
in SQ3 tomorrow you'll want to talk to Mary. Amazing and she'll answer questions until the sun comes up (pause for coffee then keep answering). Melody and Lou should be there as well, but I'm pretty sure that Mary handles most gear questions. Fruce- mel is still there, goig to florida for a bit with jack-o, but they'll be back soon enough. =c)
Stacy
http://astro.temple.edu/~sweeks

froggie, there are some great articles right here in Dropzone.com. Try looking in GEAR for a start and then just do some surfing, you will be amazed at the amount of information and links that we have right here.
alan

Hey Froggie,
Having just gone through the first gear thing a year a ago I can tell you it is not an easy task, and if you have yet to jump under a solo chute I would wait for at least 25 jumps before you purchase anything, I went from a 280 first 10 jumps to a 265 for next 15 jumps to a 230 for about 20 jumps before I purchased my 230 spectre, which is considerably faster than the 230 student chute I was jumping because of spectra, and collapsible slider and pilot chute. But if you are set on it I recommend a new container then find used chutes and AAD. If you wait till you get 25-50 jumps in then you will be able to tell where you may want to end up and a container should allow for 2 downsizes depending on type and so on.

I ended up going all new in the end, I got great service on my Mirage G4 and PD main from Mike at chutingstar and then my DZO found me a new smart reserve and Vigil II both for about 2k from a supply house that was moving, so for about a grand over quailty used it is all me, fits and I know it's complete histroy, yes it was rough to part with 5400 bucks but I sold a race bike of mine and I am glad I did! With the exception of hip rings which I didn't care much for it has all options and it is all mine.

Good luck and no matter which way you go have a top notch rigger check it out.
You will never miss a slice of the "pie", unless it is the last slice!!!!