CLebsack

incident forum idea

The incident forum is so cluttered with posts that should belong in talkback or safety.

How about doing a dual thread system where each thread would have a discussion thread that travels with the incident report.

REPORT: Pilot Bails Out of Porter?
COMMENT:Pilot Bails Out of Porter?
REPORT: Fatality Skydive Arizona
COMMENT:Fatality Skydive Arizona
REPORT: BikerBabe accident?
COMMENT:BikerBabe accident?

Both threads would be updated for "last posting date" at the same time, any time one of the threads was posted to. This would keep them traveling together and more obvious for readers.

The report part would be only for new information, news releases, eyewitness accounts, and updates on conditions. (baisicly what the incidents forum was supposed to be) Any commentary would go in the other thread.

It seems like it is just too tempting to post a "I'm sorry to hear about..." or "I don't think RSLs.." reply. You even see the greenies getting into "defenition of luck" type arguments. If there was a place to instantly reply that isn't on another forum or faraway thread, I think it would be easier to keep the chatter in it's place if it had a place.

I know there are problems with this idea, but it seems like it would relatively easy to impliment. It would be great to be able to see quickly if there was new info in the "rig tampered with" case without wadding through 250 "I hope they catch the guy" posts. If you want to read speculation like in the "Pilot Bails Out of Porter?" thread it would be right there, but separate.

I'm not advocating any lessening of the rules for the chatter in the comments section, only separating out the real info.

~Cindy~
All spelling and gramatical errors are left as an exercise for the reader.

I'll second that idea - would probably work quite well so long as people are a little self regulatory. It would probably free up discussion on incidents leading to a better learning tool too as people would not be worried about chatting on an incident thread.