Zennie

"Dream" First Rig

Nah, the tubes are for line twists. javelin has hard cable housings that are standard (which are a good thing to have, for the reason that you stated). The cutaway cables dont go all the way up the webbing to the top of the risers. they only go up the webbing just past the 3 rings, right? the tube is sewn into the riser starting at the other end, the small ring of the 3 ring. does that make more sense???
"I'll jump anything!"

Grasshopper wrote:
keep in mind when you buy canopy designs (such as safire or cobalt)verylong, quirks may exist that have not been exposed yet. before everyone else starts the hatefull responses, let me remind them of the nova (it got recalled when too many people died or got hurt when they collapse in turbulance)
Well while I agree with your theory on newer desgns, I don't see how you can consider the Cobalt a new design. That airfoil has been proven over the last couple years.
C

Since you brought it up (dream rig), I thought I'd let you all know that I just got mine! Brand new everything: Javelin J3 all stainless, fully articulated and custom stitching...Sabre 170, and a PDR 160 with a cypres! The damn thing is bad...! Gonna put it's first couple miles on it this weekend!!! Good luck with yours :)
"pull high! It's lower than you think..."

In response to:

Poster: SkySlut
Subject: Re: "Dream" First Rig
"The risers are "anti-twist" risers. They have a tubing inside them so it is going to take much more effort to put you into a line twist rather than a traditional riser which is just webbing."
Actually, the tubing has nothing to do with this. The purpose of the tube is to cover and protect the ends of the cutaway cables, so that in the event of severe line twists, which twist up the risers, the cable ends do not become pinched in the risers and cause a hard/impossible cutaway.
Some manufacturers, such as Rigging Innovations and Relative Workshop, offer hard riser inserts that are similar to the hard housings on the reserve and cutaway systems. The one offered by Sunpath is a type of plastic that they say meets TSO specifications.

alan

In response to:

Poster: Aviatrr
Subject: Re: "Dream" First Rig
"I don't think you're going to find a round certified under TSO 23(c) - the most recent TSO.. I believe they are all 23(a) and (b).. Alan - you would probably know more about that specific subject - anything to add?"
The most recent TSO is TSO-C23d. It allows for more liberal weight and speed restrictions than TSO-C23c, but with more rigid testing procedures (as I understand it). Under TSO-C23c, there were three Test Categories which specified the maximum placarded weight and speed of the canopy. Category A: 198lb/130knots, Cat.B: 254lb/150knots, and Cat.C: 254lb/175knots. The Strong LO-PO round reserves are manufactured under TSO-C23c, Category B. I don't know the specifics of the new TSO-C23d as I don't have a copy of the AS 8015-A, which is the specification the FAA accepted for defining minimum performance standards for emergency parachutes. It is issued by the Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. At best all of this is confusing.

"Most reserves are certified to 130knots, which is about 150mph.. "
Some are certified to 150knots. The best route is to verify the placarded limitations before making a decision as to what is right 'for you'. Example: Micro Raven-Maa 135 is placarded at 150knots/182lbs and a Tempo 150 is placarded at 130knots/165lbs. I personally don't believe there is anything "wrong" with a Tempo, but you should know what you are getting for your dollar and if it will meet your needs.
"My main point was that people knock certain reserves for nothing more than 'brand loyalty' or just the fact that they were always told that was the best.."
I have to agree, many of the people out there giving advice on reserves, have never jumped one.....not all, but many. And even those who have jumped one are usually basing their advice on one or two rides. Want good advice on reserves? Talk to an experienced CRW dog, that discipline usually affords more opportunities to jump your reserve.
I hope this helped, a little anyway.
alan

No sh*t, huh...Hey thanks. Sometimes I forget that the main purpose of Javelin is to make solid rigs, not to be internet marketing gurus. Thanks for the explaination.
Note to Javelin-Explain some of their advances in technology!!!Either way good feature!!!
"I'll jump anything!"

i have an icarus safire 179 and i weigh 210,have about fifty jumps on it and love it. never had a line twist on it,has always opened on heading, soft openings,its quick turning,landings are fast enough for me(surf 15-20 ft on no wind day flying straight in). I'd recomend it for an itermediate jumper 100-300 jumps depending on the size, have fun,be safe, AD