PolluxSJ

Preventing Tunnel Soreness

Several years ago I injured my right shoulder in a bicycle accident. Now, whenever I fly in the tunnel for extended periods, it makes my shoulder extremely sore for about a week; so sore I don't feel safe jumping because of the limited range of motion. I've got a 15 minute session coming up at Perris and I'd be interested to hear some advice regarding preventative measures...

Can you wrap or brace a shoulder like you would a knee or elbow that's having soreness issues? Or if I have some Ibuprofen before the tunnel session will it help me avoid additional soreness?

I notice a difference in my stamina and soreness level when we reduce our session time from 2 min rotations to 1.5 min rotations. Also when we fly with 6 or 8 people rather then 4 people so there is more rest time in between rotations.
And i get more used to the tunnel the more consistent I go, Ive been flying once a week for the last 2 months so now my stamina and soreness levels are way down.
I dont really see how Ibprofen is going to prevent soreness and Ive never seen a shoulder wrap either.

What kind of flying are you doing? freeflying or belly?? maybe learn to fly a different style that wont irritate your shoulder??

Belly flying... just getting back in the air after a 6 month layoff. I'm still a student so this is mostly training for me... and a chance for my instructors to check me out before I jump.

I'll ask about changing up the rotation time... the first time I did 15 minutes, I was the only flyer in the tunnel so I got 2:30 sessions and only got 30 second breaks in between. The second time I went, I shared the tunnel with two first time flyers and it was MUCH easier on me. So, here's hoping I'll have some company this next time :)

Extended flying in the tunnel can result in muscle soreness, just like any other form of physical activity the body is not used to. I routinely experience upper body soreness after tunnel camps. It goes away after a few days. The more tunnel time you do, the less severe the soreness will be as your body adapts to the stress. Having said that, you also indicate you have a previous shoulder injury. Only a doctor can tell you if it's safe to be in the tunnel with a lingering shoulder problem. I'd ask around at Perris -- maybe there is a doc in the area who is somewhat familiar with skydiving and the stresses it puts on the body.

Take it easy on the vitamin I. Too much of that stuff is unhealthy. http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/01/phys-ed-does-ibuprofen-help-or-hurt-during-exercise/?apage=2

Is 11 jumps in your profile correct? Learn mantis flying position while you're there next time. In the long run it's better for flying and also it's easier on shoulders.

Good luck!
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Several years ago I injured my right shoulder in a bicycle accident. Now, whenever I fly in the tunnel for extended periods, it makes my shoulder extremely sore for about a week; so sore I don't feel safe jumping because of the limited range of motion. I've got a 15 minute session coming up at Perris and I'd be interested to hear some advice regarding preventative measures...

Can you wrap or brace a shoulder like you would a knee or elbow that's having soreness issues? Or if I have some Ibuprofen before the tunnel session will it help me avoid additional soreness?

Honestly the only thing that helped me out was lots of flying. When I first started working at SVO I was so sore I didn't think I would ever fly again, but then my body built up to it and I could fly forever if I wanted. I know most people can't get in and fly daily to build up the muscle strength for it, so I just suggest stretching before and after flying, lots of water, healthy foods (maybe something high in potassium to help with circulation and stuff), and pop an aleve or anti inflamatory pain aid before getting in.
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

First time I did 30 minutes in one day, I was really sore!

Now I can do up to 2 hours in one day, with no problems. Got about 15 hours tunnel time now.

Last day I was in the tunnel, I did 1.5 hours over a compressed 5.5 hour period. It was modelled as 30 minute (2 minute fly, 2 minute rest) with 30 minute breaks in between. This pushed my limits a little, but I didn't have any lasting soreness except minor after the next day or two.

You do get used to the tunnel. Do some warm-up exercises. If not reguarly exercise, target quite a few chest exercises and shoulder exercises, and back/arching exercises -- those help a lot to soften the impact. Even if you only do some light exercises, but exercising those muscles, even if just occasionally for the two weeks prior to the tunnel.

If you intentionally let it go to the point where you are become slightly sore in exercises prior, and let it recover, then it's less likely to become sore when subjected to the exact same similiarly intense exercise one week later because it's more "in shape".

Of course, do it carefully, especially verifying advice for your type of injury -- sometimes you need to stop taking it easy after the damage is healed enough, then you gotta use it to regain strength / regain range-of-motion / regain stamina. Which often means letting it hurt slightly from time to time, as a result of exercise. New, longer/stretched muscle fibers redevelop as a result, and then it stops hurting or hurts less during the next time you have the same amount of intensity of exercise. Recover (a day or few). Then push with more exercise. Rinse and repeat. Often need to let it become sore (carefully) to get more of your original physical state back into it. It depends on type of injury, mind you... Some are permanent, and some are fixable through good old simple exercise... Get advice from your MD, to verify your type of injury benefits from this.

P.S. It took 6 months before my finger fully recovered from its limited non-painful range of motion. What I did was to not let that stop me, and let myself push the limits of range of motion from time to time in regular daily use (even opening the door of a car) and letting it hurt slightly rather than avoiding the pain completely. Gradually the range of motion and strength increased as the muscles redevelop. Now it's as if I've never injured the finger.