Scoop

Experience with kids / rehabilitating sport?- Help please

Hi,

As some may know I work for the police in a neighbourhood team and we are encouraged to seek funding for activities for youngsters to divert them from a paticular bad route they are going in life or to reward improvements in previous offending behaviour (not sure I support that but hey, its part of my job). Now, ironically, the sports that have been offered to date have been pretty standard things like soccer, golf with the occasional days motocross coaching.

It is well known that sport can divert youngsters from a troubled background by giving them a focus. Paticularly fun alternative sports (they have a parkour project in London which has been very succesful).

I need to put an argument across and have some sensible points as to why I should be allowed to spend money on taking kids to the wind tunnel. My argument, off the top of my head, would be...

* The wind tunnel / skydiving environment is a hostile one and the activity therefore helps promote respect for their environment.
* Bodyflying is an activity which requires self control, something which they may have not previously been good at exercising.
* Its an alternative sport which will capture the imagination of the youths.
* Flying together promotes teamwork.
* Being an alien environment the participants will be reliant on instructors and other persons to teach them the skills and oversee their safety which promotes trust in other adults who are often seen as against them.
* Teaches how to react calmly to difficult situations such as when losing control (literally)
* As with all sports helps promote a healthy lifestyle.
* As some consider it an adrenaline sport it helps prove there are ways of seeking excitment from life without conducting in illegal or anti social behaviour.
* As the wind tunnel is a safe way of experiencing freefall it is low risk to the participants.
* The age/medical requirements for the windtunnel are less restrictive allowing it to be open to a broad age range of children.

Ummm, thats all I can think of right now but I'd be interested to hear peoples views, opinions or experiences. Paticularly those that take children to the tunnel. Have you noticed a change in their behaviour?

Thanks

Successful flight releases endorphins and other neurotransmitters into the bloodstream which reduce anxiety and tension, produce an overall sense of well being and reduce the sensation of pain, physical , mental and emotional.

Flight provides a legal alternative to other ways of dealing with anger, trauma, pain, despair, withdrawal.

And it is vigorous physical exercise.
If God meant for us to fly
He'd have given us imagination!