Ashishrisk

HELP PLEASE!!! Better Trainers NH or Orlando???

Hi!!!

I am an A licensed skydiver with just under 100 jumps but had to give up jumping (personal reasons) about 18 months ago. [:/]

Now I want to get back into it but I want to start with a solid block of tunnel time say 5 to 7 hours, so that I can get comfortable in the air again. I plan on making a trip to either NH or Orlando (I live in New York) but want to go the facility with the best trainers. Also, I am particularly keen on getting into Freestyle.

Your feedback and guidance would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks!!
B| :)

I want to start with a solid block of tunnel time say 5 to 7 hours, so that I can get comfortable in the air again.

That kind of time will do a lot more than make you comfortable in the air. Oh - and when you say a solid block, are you expecting to be able to fly in the tunnel for 5 hours straight, or are you thinking of spending a week there and spread it out? I don't think a dedicated tunnel rat would even last that long without their muscles melting. If you spread it out enough and have enough other people to share with, you might be able to do an hour per day without getting too tired, although I don't know what the cumulative effects of doing that day in day out for a week might be for someone who's not necessarily in shape for tunnel flying.

If you've not flown in the tunnel before, and haven't flown for a while, you'll probably be feeling the fatigue after 15 minutes - perhaps less. My first tunnel session was 20 minutes, but the last five minutes of that I was probably spending more time fighting fatigue than getting good learning out of it - and at the time, I was still jumping two days every weekend.

I just did an hour in the air over the course of an afternoon and I'm really sore. 5-7 hours would be better spent over a week or at least 3-4 days to start with. Work up to that much time. Even 20-30 minutes will bring everything back to you. :)
Orlando has some great spotters that I just worked with.

Are you looking to get coaching? Thats different then the normal "block" where the spotter will attempt to keep you from killing yourself in the tunnel. A Coach will develop a training scheme and work with you to keep you busy with pre planned drills in the tunnel every second you are in the wind. For the most part the spotters will work with you in the air, but they don't work with you before or after the time in the air.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I would recomend that you contact the tunnels and find out what they each got to offer...
If you plan on dooing 5-7 houers of tunnel i would recomend that you spred it over at least a week in small session max 10 min otherwhise i would say that you are waisting a lot of monney cause i dont think you can make fyssicalyB| especialy if you plan on dooing lots of freefly/style
Jesper B|
www.tunnelcamp.dk

Thanks for the feedback. I was planning to spread this out over 4-5 days.

I have done 1 hour in the tunnel in December 2005. - 2 20 minute blocks the first day (as always in 2 minute bites) with 2 other guys. followed by another 20 minute block the next day.

Your feedback is MUCH appreciated!!!
;)

if you're planning on doing anything other than belly work, head to NH. Both have great instructors/coaches available , but NH has a LOT more wind available and doesn't suffer from weather related ailments.. it can be hot/cold/raining sideways in NH and it's all the same. on orlando, you'll be hot/cold/wet.

jerm

Landing without injury is not necessarily evidence that you didn't fuck up... it just means you got away with it this time