Floats18

Qualify for Freefly Coaching or Just Fly Belly

Yo tunnel rats-

I'm in Phoenix on biz for the week and I figured I'd drop in on the tunnel while I'm in town w/o my gear. I've been on my belly 90% of my jumps (I can sit and I have a full range of motion EXCEPT forward... i suck at that). I really want to learn how to freefly this year but there are NO freeflyers at my DZ.

I called up and they told me it would take up to 15 minutes before they would qualify me for freefly coaching in the tunnel... since I'm only going to be here for a few more days, do you think it would be more worthwhile to me just to get RW coaching instead of trying to qualify for freefly coaching?

Thoughts?
--- and give them wings so they may fly free forever

DiverDriver in Training

Well, I am no tunnel rat but I have done up through sit flying in the tunnel. I can tell you that qualifying for it requires you to be in control on all axis on your belly (Up, down, forward, back, slide left, slide right, turns) and then you have to do most of that stuff on your back too. I really enjoyed learning to back fly. The first time I was in the tunnel trying it I had maybe 300 jumps and it took some work for me to understand it, but I did get it and was able to work on sit flying. The next time I did it was over this christamas and I had a whole lot of fun with it. I learned I can go up and down sideways and turn on my back. I worked on some sit stuff after that and had a good time with it too.

I think my advice for you is to talk to the tunnel rat you are going to be working with and ask him what he specifically wants to see from you before you are allowed to work on sit flying. If the stuff he tells you about seems fun in itself then go for it. If not, stick to belly. Life is not just about end points, most of the time the journey getting there is fun too.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Cool advice, brother.

They did tell me that I would need to fly on my back... and pretty much the only thing I've done in that position is track and escape from funneled f*%&ups. That could be really cool.

I think I need to stop PMSing about it and just enjoy my time there.

w00t for pointless posts!

DiverDriver in Training

HOLY CRAP

THAT WAS F$%*ING AWESOME!

I bought 10 minutes...

2.5 I spent proving myself on my belly,
2.5 I spent flaling on my back
2.5 I spent flying on my back
2.5 I spent walking on the net and learning back-sit transitions!

(video soon to follow)

TUNNEL TIME IS CRACK COCAINE... I NEED MORE!

DiverDriver in Training

Glad to hear that you had a good time. Back flying is a lot of fun.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

You can't be serious. I tried one rotation of side-sliding on my back just last night and looked like a complete idiot. (More so than usual, I mean.) I know--it just means I need practice. But "fun"--that's overstating it! ;)

Edited to add that my post sounds really whiney. Sorry about that! Sartre LOVES back-flying. Then again, Sartre's good at it. :)
TPM Sister #102

You can't be serious. I tried one rotation of side-sliding on my back just last night and looked like a complete idiot. (More so than usual, I mean.) I know--it just means I need practice. But "fun"--that's overstating it! ;)

Edited to add that my post sounds really whiney. Sorry about that! Sartre LOVES back-flying. Then again, Sartre's good at it. :)

hah I know that feeling. :ph34r:
~D

HOLY CRAP

THAT WAS F$%*ING AWESOME!

I bought 10 minutes...

2.5 I spent proving myself on my belly,
2.5 I spent flaling on my back
2.5 I spent flying on my back
2.5 I spent walking on the net and learning back-sit transitions!

(video soon to follow)

So . . . where's the video???

I must see this back-flying extravaganza. ;)
TPM Sister #102

Dude, that's why we call it the world's biggest crack pipe!

Glad you had fun;)

Problem is, I had no warning. There were no helpful PSAs, cautioning me that all disposable income would be funneled directly from my account to SkyVenture's. I'm just a victim. I've never been happier. ;)
TPM Sister #102

I live so so far from the tunnels though....

I need my fix....

soooo coooollld.... ohh so cooooold :S

I see no other option. You must move. Unless, of course, you are close to Mellon Arena . . . but then, it might not matter, depending upon what Mario does.
TPM Sister #102

I live so so far from the tunnels though....

I need my fix....

soooo coooollld.... ohh so cooooold :S

I feel your pain, takes me a good 2+ hours to drive to Bedford - outrageous

Oh booh hooh. I'm 6+ hours from Perris :(.

Though I am <1/2 hour from union city :)
A dolor netus non dui aliquet, sagittis felis sodales, dolor sociis mauris, vel eu libero cras. Interdum at. Eget habitasse elementum est.