Jackpunx

is the tunnel that much different than skydiving?

I did the tunnel yesterday before doing my AFF 3 and 4. What a blast!
by the time my session was over.. I was able to maintain heading, chase the instructor around , shake hands and some other stuff..
All and all it was a blast.. but then..
I went to jump.. I did my level 3 with out a hitch.. then level 4.. by that time I was soar from doing the wind tunnel for 10 min early that morning.. (I have muscles I didn’t know I had)..lol
Anyway.. it felt a lot different.. I felt like I had more control in the tunnel..
While in the air.. I was able to maintain heading.. and pass the level.. but.. I felt stiff.. Maybe I was..
Not sure..
that’s my question..
is it that much different? or am I tripping a little
Thanks
Mark

The tunnel for some students is easier since there is no stress from the deployement, canopy control and landing.

Some times the other things invovled in a skydive can be in the back of your mind and you may be a little distracted and that can make you stiff.

Just my 2 cents.;)

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Sorry, that question is all a matter of what you choose to make of it. Apparently, it was different in your case. Figure out why and next time you'll do even better. Good luck. Stretch, drink more water, stay in shape. 10 minutes shouldn't be that big of an impact if you are an active person.

(But let's sit back and see both perspectives come flying in here (depending on what aspect people focus on it'll be anywhere from a little different to a complete difference). The variety of the answers will prove the point. But take the lessons for what they are worth - good training.)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Sorry, that question is all a matter of what you choose to make of it. Apparently, it was different in your case. Figure out why and next time you'll do even better. Good luck. Stretch, drink more water, stay in shape. 10 minutes shouldn't be that big of an impact if you are an active person.

(But let's sit back and see both perspectives come flying in here (depending on what aspect people focus on it'll be anywhere from a little different to a complete difference). The variety of the answers will prove the point. But take the lessons for what they are worth - good training.)

10 min was not a big impact.. but it was different from what I have ever done.. my body is not used to being in an acrch.. so I think that after a few min of that.. I used muscles that I have never really used..
but you are right.. I didnt streatch before ... It was early, cold and they put us right in..
I will streatch for sure next time.
taking away the stress of being a beginner..is
flying the wind tunnel and skydiving have the same input?
meaning.. I felt like If I just (think left).. I would turn that way.. (in the tunnel).. while skydiving.. I had to twist my body much more.. or at least thats the way it felt..
how does it feel for you?
thanks

The tunnel for some students is easier since there is no stress from the deployement, canopy control and landing.

Some times the other things invovled in a skydive can be in the back of your mind and you may be a little distracted and that can make you stiff.

Just my 2 cents.;)

Matt

that could have been it
thanks

meaning.. I felt like If I just (think left).. I would turn that way.. (in the tunnel).. while skydiving.. I had to twist my body much more.. or at least thats the way it felt..
thanks

To me the sky was a breeze compared to the tunnel for my recurrency jump (as breeze as it could have been, I'm not good or anything like that- I didn't do anything past mantis, turns, and forwards and back. By no means is skydiving a breeze or anything like that- don't want to be misinterpreted).

Take each for what they are and learn to fly them both, chances are you will be a better flyer overall.
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

Good point. I do feel like I need to be more 'defined' in regular freefall (bigger moves to get a similar response). Perhaps it's the extra weight and surface area of the gear having large impact. A 20 pound adder to a 180 pound body is a pretty siginificant extra bit of mass. It's also easier to play basketball when you -don't- wear a backback :P.

But don't think about it - it's mostly the same.

Or maybe it's all in my head. A good way to check is to ask one of our 90 pound skydivers if they feel the same - 20 pounds of gear on a 90 pound body would be even more dramatic. Paige - how big are you?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Or maybe it's all in my head. A good way to check is to ask one of our 90 pound skydivers if they feel the same - 20 pounds of gear on a 90 pound body would be even more dramatic. Paige - how big are you?

I was about 120lbs when I jumped. Put on some weight from the accident. [:/]
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

So is a 20 pound rig on your back 1/6th adder. Do you recall if you had to put more input while wearing gear to get the same moves going?

I did add more input for forward movement and I found the rig to be an adjustment. A rig can make a big difference, esp. for small people like me flying a larger canopy (or so I found to be the case) :D

I think esentially my flying style will always be more tunnel than sky- I was flying slow after my accident, 130 max in a sit, I did manage to speed up to 150mph though.

Not sure if this helps, hope it does.
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

I found side sliding took more input for the same ooomph. Pretty sure it's the extra surface area of the rig adding drag. The rest maybe a little. Again, could just be the imagination.

Anyway.. it felt a lot different.. I felt like I had more control in the tunnel..
While in the air.. I was able to maintain heading.. and pass the level.. but.. I felt stiff.. Maybe I was..

The tunnel is so similar to freefall you should not notice any real differences in basic mechanics. The biggest difference is you were probably relaxed in the tunnel and stiff as a board in the air. This is natural, the whole fear of dying from impacting the planet tends to make people stiffen up, combine that with the pressure of trying to “pass” an AFF level and a little stiffness is normal. The best thing I learned in the tunnel as an AFF student was to relax. It’s easy to say but hard to do. It makes one fly infinitely better than being tense.

Keep it up, you’re going to get there. The tunnel is a great teaching tool to help you perform better in the air.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

The tunnel is so similar to freefall you should not notice any real differences in basic mechanics. The biggest difference is you were probably relaxed in the tunnel and stiff as a board in the air. This is natural, the whole fear of dying from impacting the planet tends to make people stiffen up, combine that with the pressure of trying to “pass” an AFF level and a little stiffness is normal. The best thing I learned in the tunnel as an AFF student was to relax. It’s easy to say but hard to do. It makes one fly infinitely better than being tense.

Keep it up, you’re going to get there. The tunnel is a great teaching tool to help you perform better in the air.

B|
thank you.. I feel a little better now.. at this point I dont want to go back in the tunnel until I pass AFF... It felt so different to me and I didnt want to get used to it.. Now It makes sense.. I can see it in my head now that it has been a couple days..
I think I'll be fine.. :)cant wait to get back in the wind